Author Topic: transplanting peas  (Read 3287 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
transplanting peas
« on: April 18, 2012, 20:03:15 »
we have grown peas in pots this year as opposed to using loo rolls as forget to collect them.

The peas are now ready to transplant as the roots are sticking out a weee bit!

Can anyone enlighten as to how peas cope with being transplanted out of plastic pots.?. Are they like sweetcorn and hate any root disturbance, or will they cope with a slap on the bottom to loosen them?

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: transplanting peas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 20:06:59 »
I think they'll be fine. i used to grow more than a dozen in one pot, and just pull them apart, and they were OK. 

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 20:16:46 »
Yes mine are growing long roots out of the tray inserts - not very well hardened off yet as its been so frosty (bringing them in over night). I think they will have to go out this weekened though

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 20:31:27 »
We will be putting them out tommorrow evening as running out of space. Might put some fleece in them.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 21:05:09 »
It's worth fleecing them for a day or three just while they settle in...  :)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 21:25:11 »
It's worth fleecing them for a day or three just while they settle in...  :)

Yes definately

I did sow some peas direct last week under fleece but i get a feeling that will get a very low germination rate, esp with the cool weather!.  Oh well at least pea seeds are cheap and planted loads more in greenhouse again tonight which will germinate in the next week.  i always plant a lot of peas

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 02:56:50 »
I put a dozen peas in a pot, and plant out the whole thing when they're three or four inches high. It minimises pigeon damage - they still need protecting at times - and the peas are quite happy.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:23:26 »
I am with Robert that if there are not too many in the pot you could just throw them straight in,  but find separating peas and beans is easier in water, they tend to float apart much more easily by very very gently shaking them.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 08:37:28 »
Thanks everyone.

BTW how long should peas take to germinate if having been sown outside. Bearing in mind it is rather cool?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:39:27 by notts_phil »

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 15:37:27 »
I did 2 lots of early peas in 1mt lengths of guttering... planted 2 rows of about 15-20 peas each  and then when ready to plant out dry the soil off for a few days so it wont break up when sliding sections into a shallow furrow..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 15:48:56 »

I'm with Gavin.  Lengths of guttering.   

I have four of different varieties (peas, not guttering).   ::)   

Got to set them in increasing height so the westerly don't block the sun from the easterlies.     Going to slide them in tomorrow.    Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 20:08:33 »
I'm not sure how long peas will take outside, as I never plant them direct. They're very quick under cover.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 20:38:51 »
We sow direct... under a flush sheet of glass to deter Mice... (plant peas in a groovebelow general soil surface) If we use a round pea we can sow from the end of February and they germinate within a week... wrinkled from mid March. They prop the glass up to a brick depth to keep them growing but the birds off them. At this stage we need traps to stop opportunist mice...  :-X

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 21:44:07 »
If you have set your peas away in guttering dont attempt to slide them off when they are dry they will just bunch up as you push them, give them a good watering so the bottom of the guttering is wet this makes it easier for the compost to slide along the gutterng.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 22:24:20 »
If you have set your peas away in guttering dont attempt to slide them off when they are dry they will just bunch up as you push them, give them a good watering so the bottom of the guttering is wet this makes it easier for the compost to slide along the gutterng.

Interesting that you wet yours... my first lot crumbled when done wet.. second lot dryer seemed better.. maybe mine was not we enough.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 22:44:27 »
When i plant my peas into the guttering i do them in rows of three, two inches appart so the roots are intertwined, also i dont try to push them out in one go i do it in sections, works fine for me
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 09:54:37 »
I carve out sections of pea plants from gutters too, with a wide trowel that matches the contours of the gutters. Theur roots get torn and damaged, but they don't seem to mind.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 17:33:05 »
It may be a question of waiting till the roots bind it all together.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 17:44:02 »
First gutterfull went in yesterday, Ray thoroughly wet them to make the soil stay together, it worked  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 18:23:44 »
I do mine in bedding strips, 15 or so peas to a strip... each strip represents a foot of final row.... no need to worry about them from the point of view of pulling apart and I find it a lot easier to pick up a tray of five bedding strips as opposed to a five-foot length of guttering...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal