Author Topic: Thanks and sulking rosemary?  (Read 2291 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Thanks and sulking rosemary?
« on: April 22, 2012, 16:45:37 »
Hello again!

First of all thanks to all you old hands on here for the advice and reassurance I've had over the past few months. I reckon you folks have saved me a good few years of trial and error learning.

Unfortunately I have to draw on your experience once again if someone would be kind enough. I sowed some rosemary into a 3" pot filled with Wilco's multipurpose compost on 9/3/12. I am only now starting to see the ghost of a couple of true leaves from one of the 4 that germinated. They barely seem to be growing at all.

The chives and basil sown in the same manner are romping along fine. They have all been in a greenhouse since 16/3/12 and were previously on a windowsill indoors. Anything I can do to bring the rosemary on, or is it just a slow grower? Is it maybe too hot for them?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Thanks and sulking rosemary?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 17:38:38 »
You will get a faster result growing the rosemary from cuttings. They are so easy. Just cut a piece off and stick it in some compost or directly in the soil.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 18:08:11 »
Thanks for that tip shirlton ;) will give that a go we love our rosemary but the bush we have is looking a bit sorry for its self.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 20:29:42 »
I think rosemary is supposed to be trimmed at this time of year, but I'm not sure how to do it. The tips on mine are quite brown so might try cutting it back. Any tips?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:06:40 »
I took some cuttings from someone on the lottie and potted them and as Shirl says they took quite easily, some of mine in the garden have flowerage and some have none what so ever, is there a reason for this.    ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:21:16 »
I think rosemary is supposed to be trimmed at this time of year, but I'm not sure how to do it. The tips on mine are quite brown so might try cutting it back. Any tips?

You can cut as far back as you want..but you need to have some green growth left bellow the cut for it to produce new growth.
Rosemary is not too happy with severe pruning and particularly more its done nearer to the old wood. I treat it bit like lavender..mine gets severe haircut for all those nice 'fleshy' green shoots and it will produce more of it from it and it keeps the plant low and productive.
If yours is already mature and 'woody'..just trim back all the 'greenery' as low as you can and leave leave some to re-grow...unless you use your rosemary regular basis, it will get pruned as you use it but you propably have to take bit more of than you would for your cooking..that way it will get gradually pruned and you have something to use as well all the time.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:24:44 »
I took some cuttings from someone on the lottie and potted them and as Shirl says they took quite easily, some of mine in the garden have flowerage and some have none what so ever, is there a reason for this.    ???

Maturity of the plants..different growing conditions...many things can tricker 'same' plants to flower different times.
Suppose those that receive more water and nutrients will want to produce more green growth..and bit of stress makes them want to produce flowers and seed.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 19:55:32 »
Cheers, Shirlton. I'll see if I can get a hold of a cutting. Someone down the road from me has a rosemary bush.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal