Author Topic: Chickens  (Read 2025 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Chickens
« on: May 30, 2012, 23:39:04 »
My new lovely chooks have been with us for 3 weeks now, and we love em  :D BUT, the area they have to run in is lawn, and as you chicken keepers know they poop a lot! How do I keep the smell and the flies down, pick it up, which would be difficult to do daily, or has anyone fed theirs powdered garlic and special oats. Don't want to annoy me neighbours with their chickeney pong!!!
any advice appreciated

DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:17:29 »
I read somewhere that if you sprinkle bokashi bran in the coop it absorbs the smell. Our girls have a 12'x 8' run & that doesn't smell at all & I don't use the bran. They are out all night ATM & there are BIG poos under the perch & still no smell.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 17:18:00 »
We use Aubiose in the house, which is super absorbent and dries the poo out and effectively deodorises it.  Ours have a lockable run, and access to the lawn when one of is is around to keep an eye on them.  The run has woodchip in it, which works well.  The free range grass area doesn't need anything.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 16:44:23 »
Melbourne ours have the run of a penned in lawn, suddenly it doesn't pong any more, might have been those hot few days. Granny that is what I meant, not oats, duh me!,

Maybe I just have a delicate nose ;D

Will keep an eye, or nose out, and see how it go's

Thanks for your replies

DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal