Author Topic: Mixed crops in the greenhouse  (Read 2305 times)

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
Mixed crops in the greenhouse
« on: May 15, 2012, 22:41:40 »
Hi,

I read an article recently (but can't remeber where) about the different needs of greenhouse plants like cucumbers, Tomatoes, peppers, aubergines etc.  It talked of needing to grow some in a different greenhouse to others.  As I am fortunate enough to have two, could anyone out there enlighten me as to which crops grow well with which other crops.

Regards.

cestrian

• Half Acre
Re: Mixed crops in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 23:17:37 »
I've not heard this before!! But interested to know if others have experienced this because you've just described my greenhouse - I've got tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, chilies and courgettes!!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 00:13:46 »
There was an article by Bob Flowerdew about in in a recent mag. ? Kitchen Garden?

He suggests tomatoes like harsh bright sunlight and dry air, whereby cucumbers prefer diffuse light and moist air, chillies & peppers inbetween the two. It has made me rethink my greenhouse arrangements this year, I'm going to cordon off the end for cucumbers and grow them in a cooler shadier spot and see how they do.... ???
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 21:10:00 »
Thanks Deb P.  It was that article so I found it and looked at it again.  I am going to move stuff around to make the best of the conditions that I have.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 21:33:48 »
It was the received wisdom when I started gardening forty years ago that you 'couldn't' grow toms and cukes in the same greenhouse because one liked dry and the other damp - but I used to try, nonetheless. I never really managed good cucumbers and grow the outdoor type now. Peppers and aubergines seem to thrive with my toms, though.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 21:51:08 »
I would agree that tomatoes like ventilation while cucumbers prefer condensation and no drafts,hence partitioning the GH or polytunnel.
I normaly stick the cucumbes in the corners of the GH furthest away from the door as i dont plant any tomatoes there i have found they seem to be the ones that get blosom end rot, but i cant say i have great success compared to growing them in the polytunel.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 09:10:09 »
Ive never had any problems. Normally grow lots of toms with long cukes such as tiffany as climbers up the shady side windows and down the ridge.

As with all advice just see how you get on and find what works for you. Lovely to have two gh though.

x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal