Author Topic: Plant food maker  (Read 5849 times)

stripey

Plant food maker
« on: April 15, 2012, 20:52:42 »
Thinking of getting one of these plant food makers(see link below). Has anybody else used one, reviews please?

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/95245/plant-food-maker

gwynleg

• Hectare
Re: Plant food maker
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 22:10:47 »
No but I am waiting for one just like it (not sure if its exactly the same or not) from Lakeland. Hope it works ok

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 22:22:26 »
Isn't it rather expensive for what is basically a bucket with a lid and a stirring thingy....?

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 22:56:42 »
I'm with Chris, seems rather expensive.

Has made me think, do any of you that make these smelly nettle/comfry teas, have you tried giving it a good regular stir.

I am thinking that the bugs that produce obnoxious gases generally thrive in low oxygen environments, so if you give it a good stir to get oxygen in, maybe it will be ready sooner and without such a bad smell.

It's just a thought, but maybe somebody could try it.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 23:19:35 »
I agree with Chris and Chrispy, it does seem expensive. I havent tried making any teas but I will do this year and hold my nose whilst giving it a stir :)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 18:25:21 »
Oh you lot are just like my other half!! Yes I agree I could have made do with two buckets within each other and a lid, but I wanted one of these and convinced myself that I needed it!! I am not going to let OH see this thread....

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 18:30:49 »
I have some nice recycled yellow Ghee buckets with lids.  I do not stir as the lovely smell keeps the cats from digging latrines in my garden..  ;D

Mind you if it came in pink I might be tempted.  I was so close to getting a Roly Pig but OH reminded me that we took the lawn up to grow rhubarb and so nowhere to roll said pig.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 19:04:29 »
It would have to be purple before I could consider it ;D ;D ;D.

stripey

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 21:49:07 »
Oh you lot are just like my other half!! Yes I agree I could have made do with two buckets within each other and a lid, but I wanted one of these and convinced myself that I needed it!! I am not going to let OH see this thread....

No different to buying water butt/compost bin etc. My other half, is the same, but still think I will give it a go! Thanks for all your comments

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 02:21:32 »
Buying online sometimes is not the cheapest way, I made my own Plant Food maker out of a swing bin found in a skip even managed to find a tap to fix on the side. I had a look at the Fothergill site on there is a fruit berry harvester costing £12.95 I just bought the same thing from Lakland for £7.50

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 12:21:11 »
If you type in Promotional Code F12DRHS, you can get a discount of £3.99, making the price £20.46 which included P&P.     ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal