Author Topic: Fruit Trees  (Read 1358 times)

themauler

• Not So New ...
Fruit Trees
« on: April 20, 2012, 23:21:08 »
I have just bought 4 fruit trees, 2 Victoria Plum & 2 Stella Cherry. They are grafted and will only grow to about 7'-8' tall. They can be grown in tubs but I will be growing them in my allotment.
Can anyone tell me how close they can be planted to each other. I have an area I have saved for them about 4.5m x 4.5m. How many trees should I be able to get in that area taking into account that they are small grafted trees.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:29:12 »
Ah..fruit trees..my favourites... ;D

Ok, first..do you know what rootstock your trees are crafted into? Gisela5 is the smallest for the cherries and Pixy for the plums....BUT...even it is said they 'only' grow certain size..I would read the meaning as 'can be achieved to keep within'. Growing conditions and crafted variety will have some saying too how much the trees grow.

Plums in Pixy rootstock are expected to grow 8-10 ft...Gisela 5 about 6-8 ft...the spread of the canopy is about same as the height and ideally you want to have bit of gap between trees too after they've grown into full size trees.
So if you start calculating by the maximum spread..remembering they often do grow larger than is the guide.

4.5 m = about 15-16ft..so if you plant plum in two opposite corners of you area..that will leave just about enough room between them, but the canopy and roots will venture outside that 4.5m square area as well.
Although the cherries should stay bit smaller..I would plant them same..to the opposite ends of the area.
So each tree in each 'corner' of the plot and eventually, even if they look bit lost in space, they will fill the spot and bit more. So sadly no more fruit trees on that area and you need to do some amount  pruning to get them into shape in their early years. If you are not confident about pruning..we can get to it once your trees have put some new growth on..propably no need this year at all.
BUT..you could squeeze something else 'out' of that space..planting perharps a gooseberry bush in the middle OR strawberries OR couple blueberries in containers perharps some herbs like chives or parsley.
You can crop the middle area with veg..until the trees start to get much bigger and the roots gets damage from the digging..but that is some years ahead... ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:37:12 by goodlife »

themauler

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:23:15 »
Thanks for that.
All I can find out about the rootstock is that it says they are 'Grafted on to a special dwarfing rootstock'.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 17:47:37 »
You won't go far wrong if you can keep them about fifteen feet apart.

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:25:15 »
Sorry to hijack but plums be grown in parial shady site? Back of my lottie gets sun only in am

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:53 »
You can..although amount of shade/lack of light will effect to the growth of the tree..you might not be able to prune it into perfect 'compact' shape and/or the fruit may not ripen the sweetest possible flavour.
Saying that ..growing a plum tree (or any other fruit tree) in the best possible light doesn't always guarantee a success..in slight shade your tree might have bit more shelter and it could be that it might escape worst of the frost there.
I've seen trees cropping perfectly happily in situations where in theory they should have never ever been planted..perhaps they've not been the best looking specimens a the trees come..but who cares as long as they crop.
You only know by trying... ;) ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal