Author Topic: Which Ourdoor Lemon Variety  (Read 1503 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Which Ourdoor Lemon Variety
« on: April 21, 2012, 18:18:23 »
We have a 3 foot x 2 foot dia ceramic pot that is crying our for a Lemon tree that we can nurture on in our fruit area on the plot,I have seen trees from about £30 to £60 here and there but dont know a suitable hardy variety that can cope with our mixed seasonal weather.

I have some citrus, a couple of which I have managed to keep alive for about 15 years now.  The things they don't seem to like, and which will make them drop their leaves are overwatering when they are not needing so much water ie spring winter, and quick changes in temperature at any time of year.

I recently read they are better if watered via matting, but haven't tried that yet.  What I try to do is leave it until the leaves just begin to almost wilt a bit, then give a nice thorough watering, but don't leave water standing  in the plant saucer.

Also liquid seaweed fertilizer seems good as a watering or leaf spraying fertilizer

They will stand a couple of degrees of frost, but not real solid freezing.

Often the leaves will fall off completely, but as long as you don't overwater at this critical point they will come back.  I bought a lemon tree with no leaves at all from a garden centre for £5 and it is fine now. 

found that reply in the archive that talks of the growing but doesnt mention a variety.

any worthwhile suggestions.

Gazza

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Re: Which Ourdoor Lemon Variety
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 14:58:42 »
Can only suggest a web search. Think I've read the odd article/seen ads for new hardier citrus than previously but can't remember where.
I've got a small tree and bring it into unheated conservatory over winter. (Left it out a bit too long one year and leaves went pale yellow and a lot fell off, did recover over time. Guess one might survive outside kept pretty dry over winter and covered with heavy fleece if you live in a warm area).

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 15:25:20 »
Sorry I can't help with the lemon but I too have a large pot that is crying out for a peach ;D.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:36:24 »
I read Mayer's Lemon is supposed to be the hardiest.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:54:00 »
I had Mayers lemon for years and I overwintered it in unheated GH..untill winter 2010..all that snow and cold proved to be too much..well not the snow in GH but the long period of cold.
So yes..Mayers lemon is quite tough...I wish that I have managed to get mine indoors in time..but the weather did took me by surprise and and I forgot all about that poor plant.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal