Author Topic: HELP! moving a cherry tree  (Read 11735 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
HELP! moving a cherry tree
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:35:00 »
We,are having to move a cherry tree ASP from our son's garden this week ,the tree is in it's fourth yr if we don't get it out, it's got to be cut down! we are going to try to save it, anyone ever done this before ?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: HELP! moving a cherry tree
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:04:28 »
 :-\..its bit wrong time of the year to do it..but if it cannot be helped...you don't have much to loose given the options... ::)
But in good note...YES..it is possible... ;D
Dig as big rootball to go with the tree as you can manage to move...wrap it in cloth/plastic straight away so it don't dry out...and move as soon as possible to the new location.
Dig new planting hole..puddle it with water and place the tree into the hole...top it up with water again.
Mix some bonemeal with the soil you are using for backfilling..and firm the soil well around the rootball..you can leave the backfill trench bit lower down so when you are watering this summer it will hold the water around the planting area and its not running away.
You need to keep the tree well watered in this first year..not little and often watering..but when you do...give good bucket full or two at the time so it really soak deep down.
You can even put little piece of guttering down pipe into planting hole before backfill..leaving couple inches above soil level. It really easy to just pour water down the pipe and it goes where its needed ..down to the roots...the top soil you can then mulch and it will keep the moisture down.
Don't worry if it looks bit 'sad and droopy' this year..just prune out any obvious damage bits off from branches but leave it otherwise be and next year you can then correct the top if needed.

There is two ways of thinking with the 'pruning bit'..some say you should reduce the top growth to compensate the loss of roots..but your tree is still relatively young so you might get away with it..and fruit trees often get bit 'moody' with drastic cuts..particularly stonefruit trees.
The growing season is only just starting and there is not much green growth as yet ... you will soon discover how much top growth the roots will be able to support..so in midsummer..dead growth should be evident and then cut those bits out... ;) I think is not good to give too much trouble for one plant in a one go..'gently' does it.. ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:10:17 by goodlife »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:42:17 »
I once moved a 7 year old rowan tree in July so anything is possible! I agree with Goodlife. I would dig the planting hole first though- you can always adjust it when you see the size of the rootball. Have the tree out of the ground for as short a time as possible.
Also stake the tree. Get the stake in, then the tree. You'll inevitably have to cut through some of its roots to lift it so it won't be able to support itself properly until its new roots get a grip on the ground.

Some Rootgrow sprinkled on the roots will help it to get going on new roots too. And water water water ... but don't drown!!!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:28:10 »
Give it a bucket of water every day till the autumn, make sure it has plenty of roots left, and it should be OK. Pruning it might be a good idea; if you cut down the amount of leaf growth, you also cut water loss.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 14:34:44 »
Thank you everyone for your advice ,will do or best to keep this tree going with plenty of water and TLC,we know it's a bad time but it can't be helped ,won't be giving the son anymore fruitrees :(

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 14:50:47 »
I have a young Cherry tree from a lottie neighbours garden and did "as above"
Its about three foot high and in blossom but no idea of the age
Should I feed it anything as I've never had one before
Sorry to jump in Clay.   ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 16:00:55 »
Code: [Select]
Should I feed it anything as I've never had one before
If you tree is 'happy'..its not absolutely necessary to do so. I usually give all my fruit trees their annual feed about end of Jan/February time...in good time ahead before the new growth start.
If your tree needs to put lot of growth on, you can give it a feed..it don't hurt. Something like BFB or growmore sprinkled on the area right under the whole canopy area.
 Sorry Kev..I'm not doubting your intelligence..but I often see people just chucking the feed near the trunk which is far away where the most of the roots are.. ::)..so I keep repeating this 'under the canopy' thing when ever I talk about  trees and fertilizers.. ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal