Author Topic: Greenhouse disaster  (Read 4376 times)

donnythistle

• Not So New ...
Greenhouse disaster
« on: April 18, 2012, 17:59:56 »
Sat at home listening to the rain and i had a sudden urge to go to the allotment.  Walked up the path and thought something isn't right here. Went into the greenhouse and every single pot of all my seedlings was on the floor upsidedown.  sat down and cried before i then painstakingly repotted everything and hope it will be ok.  Why would somebody do this! More to the point it had to be another allotment person as we have large gates with a massive padlock and really high fencing with razor wire on the top. More like going into a secure unit than allotments! this is only my second year and was determined to grow every from seed .
life has new meaning since i became an allotmenter:)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Greenhouse disaster
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 18:04:55 »
How awful to find that after all of the hard work sowing the seeds. It makes my blood boil.Most allotment holders are ok but you always seem to get the bad apple now and again. Hope you managed to save some of the stuff
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 18:16:17 »
What a dreadful thing to do to you.Hard to imagine it being another Allotment holder.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 18:29:42 »
As said very sad, I'd get one of them alarm padlocks on straight away, or what I would do was hide in the greenhouse and frighten the bloody life out of them and bury them up to their necks on the plot, thats what I'd do, not what I'm advising you to do.   :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 18:47:12 »
Really feel for you donny. I had an alarm once,  that women could keep in their bags and if you had to pull the cord it would create this dreadful noise. I ended up using it on my shed door , fixing the alarm to the door and hooking the cord over a nail in the ground. If someone opens the door without lifting off the cord ( ie you have to know its there) it would set off the alarm and hopefully scare off any intruders and anyone else around would also see what the noise is.  Don't think it was expensive to buy , it maybe worth thinking about to protect your plants.
Bring back Spotty Dog........

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 18:51:18 »
Look at alarm padlocks on Amazon.   :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 18:52:48 »
What a shame, it's hard to understand the mentality of some people.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 18:56:53 »
have there been any kids or dogs on site?, like betula says, hard to imagine another plot holder doing it  ???

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 14:14:50 »
Ah Donny, how crushing for you :( Stupid, stupid people. Yes, unfortunately seems some kind of little lock/alarm combo is the way to go. I'm also wondering if someones mischievous (not the word I want to use!) children got in there and flipped them all over. I hope they'll all grow and be ok :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 14:52:55 »
Possibly it is a jealous neighbour.

I have similar problems - netting ripped, plants stimped down, polytunnel slashed with a knife, loads of stuff nicked.

It's pretty obvious who it is but of course I have little / no proof.

It is very upsetting at the time but you soon move on and most of your neighbours will be sympathetic and help out if they can.

Nihil desperandum illegitimi - onwards and upwards!

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 15:51:27 »

I wouldn't keep your feelings hidden, I should tell any other allotment holder who happens along.   Forewarned is forarmed and it might just prick the consiounce [sic] of whoever did it.

Cheers.     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 16:55:16 »
^^ yeah - tell everyone, soak up the sympathy, you deserve it ... then move on.  In the summer when you are seeing things grow and weeding like crazy this will seem a minor setback.  And get a lock on your greenhouse.

Happy gardening!

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 14:39:45 »
Must be a horrible pathetic person. Hope you don't get any more trouble.

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 18:52:27 »

What a mean thing to do, hope you can put this behind you ,and look forward to summer.
  June.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 19:06:15 »
 Am sorry you had your wee seedlings trashed ,I'm sure it's jealousy !pepole are very strange when they think someone is getting on,hope you save a few! ;)

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 19:54:49 »
What a shame for you- it makes you wonder what makes some people tick. What goes around comes around though and  they will never be happy people who do things like that. ???

I hope your seedlings will be ok- I dropped a tray of  red cabbage upside  down on the way to the plot today, but they can be quite forgiving!

Normylass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 19:36:41 »
Really sorry this has happened, we had mice in the greenhouse last year and that was bad enough, let alone a human doing this.    :'( :'(

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 14:49:23 »
so sorry to read you had this happen.  So senseless, hope your seedlings will come through this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal