Produce > Drink ....

Which are the best wine corks?

(1/2) > >>

Suzie Q:
Hi Everyone,

I have just bottled with my new twin handled corker and it was a bit of a disaster!

The corks have mostly not gone in all the way and the plunger has made quite a dent in the top of the corks.  To make matters worse to get the corker off the bottle you have to twist it a bit and that has damages the edge.  It this normal? Something to do with the corks?

I have always used a hand corker but thought as I cranked up production to a higher level I would invest in a piece of smart new kit. 

Does anyone have any tips?  I have now slightly increased plunger depth but that is also not helping the tip damage.

The corks were meant to be premium coated and therefore best to use??/Anything better out there?  I am intending on aging some of the wine so I would like good quality cork as a replacement.

Thanks

OllieC:
For corks, I use premium normal ones (not coated) and a wooden corker - works fine but most of the time I use screw caps or plastic corks as it doesn't hang around for long!

Disappointing to get a new bit of kit that isn't very good!

Gordonmull:
I've been using cheapos plus hand corker and never had any problems. Always soaked them in boiling water for half an hour and they go in perfectly and quickly. Get mine from thethriftyshopper.co.uk, now homebrewsupermarket.co.uk, I think. They are cork.

Very happy with them.

Uncle Joshua:
Did you soak the corks?

They don't always go all the way in, it depends on the bottles. I think I have the same corker (red) and don't think that will be the issue.

Suzie Q:
Update on corks,  have taken then handcorker back and upgrade to a floor corker - they go in a treat now, all the way in and they are level which they weren't with the hand machine.

Regarding the corks they had a silicone coating and the HomeBrew shop owner advised to NOT soak as this would ruin the coating.  Just a quick run under the tap to get rid of any dust.

I think I will be using the 'to be soaked' in future!  Thanks for the advice,  will look on homebresupermarket for a bargin as have now got two thirty bottle kits to bottle and an lovely dried elderberry to lay down!

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version