Author Topic: Fennel and Celeriac in crop rotation?  (Read 3194 times)

Normylass

• Quarter Acre
Fennel and Celeriac in crop rotation?
« on: April 17, 2012, 20:22:19 »
Hi, I  thought I'd have a go at celeriac and fennel this year, and I'm not sure which bit of the crop rotation to include them in.
I do a 4 year rotation, legumes, brassicas, potatoes and onions.
I'm sure one of you will be able to help  :D
Thank you in advance.

Julie  ;D

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
Re: Fennel and Celeriac in crop rotation?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 21:01:01 »
Interesting question Normylass, can't answer it - but having the same crop rotation system as you I am interested in wear celeriac fits in.
Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 21:18:39 »
I do potatoes, root crops, pulses, brassicas.  So I have popped my fennel in with the root crops which is where your onions are.  I don't grow potatoes but have my tomatoes and squashes in that slot.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:44:35 »
I do potatoes, root crops, pulses, brassicas.  So I have popped my fennel in with the root crops which is where your onions are.  I don't grow potatoes but have my tomatoes and squashes in that slot.

Good idea.  If I don't know where to plant (and there are others besides fennel and celeriac) I treat them as fillers to go in anywhere.  This does not help answer your question .... just to say, crop rotation - good, stressing over it and trying to achieve perfection - bad, and not necessary as long as they don't go in the same spot two years running  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:27:15 »
They're the same group as carrots and parsnips (and celery and parsely if you grow enough parsley to treat as a crop, or angelica come to that matter.... or dill....), if you grow carrots or snips then put them in that group, otherwise pick one of your groups adn leave them in it...

Normylass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 15:39:23 »
Thank you everyone for your answers, seems like  there is some debate....
I'll put em in with me snips then ( I have them with the onions bit of the rotation). I try not to stress about the rotation too much. I do seem to put all the 'oddments with the onions :D like swiss chard and spinach.
My DH says he's never known anyone grow so many different things, it works for me ;D  and I enjoy it very much  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 15:48:26 »
Last year, we put the celeriac in the corners of the bed, around the courgettes, they seemed to like the moist, rich conditions in the bed and we got some whoppers :)

Normylass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 16:01:57 »
Mmm, now thats an interesting idea, I usually grow a cougette plant on the compost heap....the one I'm rotting down for the following year.....celeriac on the compost heap, that might work  :)...... would drive my DH mad  ;)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 16:15:33 »
There#s no such thing as too much water for celeriac.... the ancestral plant is a swamp dweller....

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 17:23:22 »
There#s no such thing as too much water for celeriac.... the ancestral plant is a swamp dweller....
Don't beleve that, I planted mine in the small bit of my plot that can turn into a swamp, they were happy until it rained, I won't be doing that again.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal