Author Topic: Chilean Guava  (Read 1339 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Chilean Guava
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:44:43 »
I've just had a Chilean Guava plant delivered - don't know much about them. They're supposed to be frost hardy to -10ºC and reach a size of 1m x 1m but that's about all I know. Does anyone have any experience with them, and any tips?

Cheers
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Chilean Guava
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:55:10 »
I wish I would have some tips.
I wanted a plant myself...bought seeds and managed to germinate some..potted, growed them on..first winter they stayed in unheated GH...they were not hardy enough.. ::)..and it definately didn't get down -10.
I hope somebody else would have something more positive to tell you. I would love to taste the fruit before attempting to grow from seed again..just to see if they are nice enough for the trouble.

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Chilean Guava
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:02:34 »
Just checked and actually says -8ºC here where I got it from http://www.planfor.co.uk//garden-plants,fruit-shrubs-for-small-spaces-uk.html - I'd send you on a fruit but I fear it might be squashed by the time it arrived  ;D

The plant is quite bushy 30cm x 30cm and looks in very good condition. Have to say I'm quite happy with the purchase - also got a Kiwi solo, which is slightly larger and has a few small buds / fruit on it and a raspberry, Fall Gold. The kiwi is going in the polytunnel but I was hoping to keep the guava outside.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal