Author Topic: garden fork ?  (Read 2292 times)

mentallot

• Half Acre
garden fork ?
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:43:46 »
Any recommendations for a garden fork ? The one I bought about a month back is so rubbish I'm not even going to leave it at the allotment ! When the tines bend (which they do all the time) I can pull them back just by hand - and I'm not that strong !

Thanks folks

Vision

• Not So New ...
Re: garden fork ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:59:33 »
I had to buy a new fork last year it was a Spear & Jackson stainless steel from Homebase it was on offer at the time down from £29.99 to £19.99 and I really like it.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 12:02:32 »

Bulldog brand everytime.  Tis the brand the Queen gave me when I moved into married quarters and I still have it.    Thank you kindly Maam.   :D

I would scour the boot sales for a 'crowfoot' brand.

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 12:05:37 »
I had to buy a new fork last year it was a Spear & Jackson stainless steel from Homebase it was on offer at the time down from £29.99 to £19.99 and I really like it.

I have a Spear & Jackson SS spade - a present a few years ago from my son. I use it all the time and so far no wear to be seen and it's a comfortable tool to use.

But... all the time my dad's old, very well worn, fork keeps going I'll be using it. It's sharp, light, well balanced and lovely to hold.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 13:49:50 »
I had Spear & Jackson for 4 years before handing it to my mother-in-laws' partner last year.  Still going strong.  I treated myself to a Bulldog last year with my chrimbo vouchers and an excellent choice it was too.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 20:58:19 »
I have a steel one I got for a fiver in the market way back. It's heavy, strong enough to use as a crowbar, and I wouldn't swap it.

mentallot

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 15:36:39 »
Bit the bullet and bought the Spear & Jackson Stainless Steel Select Border Fork from Homebase @ 29.99. Feels good to use, but not done anything heavy yet ...

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 15:39:52 »
when my garden tools were nicked I got the value range ones from Homebase and they have proved to brilliant and cheap as chips too I think I paid £7.50 for the fork. :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:49:09 »
I have a steel one I got for a fiver in the market way back. It's heavy, strong enough to use as a crowbar, and I wouldn't swap it.

That, in my opinion, is often the best way if you can find a good one it'll last for years!

persecuted unlimited

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 06:26:30 »
If you have or know anyone with a Makro card the stainless steel Spears and Jackson spade is on offer from Wednesday for £11.24 plus vat and all other spear & jackson have 25%off

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 06:55:43 »
bulldog every time for me.
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 07:39:06 »
Joseph Bentley stainless steel, but for heavy stony digging a steel one. Stainless no where near as strong, safe it for lighter work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal