Author Topic: white substance in soil  (Read 3474 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
white substance in soil
« on: April 10, 2012, 17:56:40 »
Whilst waiting for the key to my new plot, I'm helping my daughter-in-law to clear a plot where she's a partner.  Her half hasn't been worked in ages and the area I've been doing today, near a mesh fence, has me baffled.  In amongst the usual things, buried chicken wire, tons of glass, old brambles, couch grass etc, I came to a patch where the soil was full of white stuff that looked a bit like sand.  There's a plastic bag wedged under the fence post, which may have contained this substance, as I had found a similar one further along that did have sand spilling from it.  The thing is, I panicked a bit, thinking, "ASBESTOS!" and just left it.  There's also a lot of stuff that looks like roofing felt, but some of that had a bit of white on in this area.  Any ideas?

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: white substance in soil
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 20:56:08 »
It's hard to say, isn't it? Lots of things come in the form of white powder. I'm not sure even a photo would help anyone identify it. Sorry I can't help  :(

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 21:11:13 »
Hi Gwynneth so where is your new plot at, hope it is nearer to home this time.
Assbestos looks nothing like sand, The sand off seaton goes white maybe a split bag dumped. Where is the plot in question.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 18:00:54 »
The form of asbestos normally found on allotments is a grey board, often corrugated, which used to be used as building material.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 18:11:48 »
Sack, allotment, white stuff, my best guess in the dark is it was an old sack of growmore or other fertiliser.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 18:45:18 »
Hi gwynnethmary, I can understand your worry.  If you're on a council site they might be only too happy to have it tested themselves, or failing that I think your local Environmental Health department would test it for you, and if none of that works you can take a sample and get it tested yourself - if you have a commercial (not domestic) waste facility near you they might be able to send it fof for you, I had to have my garage roofing tested like that to get a certificate to be able to dump it, cost around £25.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 19:42:23 »
Davy, this plot is at Thornhill, back of Greyfields.  It's not mine- I'm just helping out my son's wife.  The one I'm hoping to get very soon is at Stranton, near the cemetery, and right near the one I help a friend with.  We've been working that one for two years now, and it'll be good to have some more space to grow fruit and maybe more asparagus.  The patch we have is only half a plot between us, with not really enough to do! The blue pipe you gave us was brilliant- we had the best sprouts and were still eating them a couple of weeks ago- the pigeons got none!
Back to the white stuff- I think it probably is some kind of weedkiller or even lime, as the area I found it in was absolutely full of glass and old roofing felt, so possibly a shed.  There were also lots of plastic beakers.  I'm not looking forward to exploring the corners of the plot as they are weed covered mounds, probably hiding a treasure trove of rubbish.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 20:14:03 »
So You are getting one right in the dead centre of town then.
I hae some fibreglass corrigated sheets which is ideal for what you want to catch water complete with guttering if you want them i will cut them the equel size for you. Also i am hoping to make a start on a freinds polytunnel when that is complete there will be some spare timber all yours if you want it i will keep it till you are ready for it
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 20:35:59 »
Thanks Davy-sounds great!  I'll let you you know when we get our key and will be able to give you more info.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal