Author Topic: 'average' seeds in packets  (Read 1386 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
'average' seeds in packets
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:03:20 »
This weekend I sowed my parsnip seeds in two trays of cardboard inner rolls from toilet paper, the method which works best for me. They were Johnsons Parsnip Palace F!, average content 200 seeds.  I ideally wanted to end up with about 50-60 plants, so had 60 tubes and started off dropping 3 seeds into each.  I quickly realised that I wouldn't have enough seeds . . . . . counted them and found I had 67.  Hmmmmm!
However, full marks to Johnsons, or Fothergills as they also are, apparently,  as I sent them an email on Easter Day, and have had a reply this morning, asking for maximum details so they can sort out the problem, and also my address for a replacement packet.
What are other people's experiences with numbers of seeds in packets?

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: 'average' seeds in packets
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:21:46 »
Big disappointment with T&M fennel seeds, average 50 actual number 7! But they replaced it without quibbling, with a normal packet.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 13:05:31 »
Last year I had a problem with T&M sweet corn, only 15 seeds in a pack, minimum should have been 30. Got two replacements from the garden centre no problem, T &M blamed a 'technical difficulty' which apparently affected several different types of seeds.....hmmmm.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 18:25:26 »
With more expensive seed have started comparing numbers as well as prices across suppliers.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 19:10:17 »
My best ones are Wilko Sweetcorn 40 average I normally get 48+ this year both have had 52 in them.   :D :) ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 19:36:07 »
Yes, come to think of it, I also found 52 sweetcorn in the Wilko packet! So I win some and lose some - that's what average means I suppose!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal