Author Topic: spring?  (Read 1413 times)

ACE

• Hectare
spring?
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:38:15 »
Spring, summer, autumn, winter all in one day. Last time I head for the midlands for a holiday. Arrived in proper southern dress for a holiday, shorts, tee shirt etc. Got out on the lounger and got a bit sunburnt, had a barbie, a few tinctures then off to bed. Woke up in the middle of winter and thought I had changed sex as a vital part of my male anatomy decided it would change into a tortoise and had retracted into it's shell.

-5% of frost, then the sun came out to prove it was daytime, that quickly disapeared to let the sleet have a look in, a bit more sun, then an icy wind from the north wanted to get in on the act. All of a sudden it realised it was April and threw in a few showers before an autumnal gloom took over for the evening.

We had to go out and buy some northern style clothes as our holiday gladrags were only any good  for an hour a day. Fashion is not high on the list of priorities in Tewkesbury, so I ended up with winceyette pyjamas, moleskin trousers, big woolly sweaters and an anorak. The Yeti got a load of puffy sort of gear that was more suited to the north face and she could have been mistaken for michelan man, at least it kept her out of the shops as most of them were so small and packed so tight with goods she kept sweeping the stuff off the shelves as she turned around.  Goose fat was in short supply as most of the locals had used it to rub on their chests before they sewed themselves into their woolly vests.

Our usual tea of a smoked salmon salad was replace by beef stew and dumplings and we had to put the beer in the oven to thaw out the tins. Our evening constitutional was replaced by a quick dash around the block then a hour in front of the heater until the the frostbite wore off. We did eventually make it back yesterday after driving through a monsoon and gale force winds, the ferry was a bit lively as well. Woke up this morning with the sun shining and gentle breezes which is very handy as we have half a ton of midlands mud to wash off of everything. Is this mud any good for growing things in? or has it been made sterile by the sort of conditions it is used to.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: spring?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:06:53 »
 Hahahahaha!!!@ Ace.  Enjoyed it then LOL.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:04:21 »
So it was you that caused the bad weather up here then was it?  having a BARBIE!!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14:12 »
 ;D ;D ;D

I have to say that I enjoyed the heatwave in Bournemouth a couple of weeks ago.  Had a lovely walk round Hengistbury head.  It was certainly warmer there then. 

Many thanks for making it rain last night, we had had almost none for 6 weeks.

Not sure what route you took to get between Tewkesbury and IOW but please can we have our mud back.  We need it to weatherproof our wattle and daub houses.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 13:39:35 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 20:11:13 »
You'll be back next year.   ::)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal