Author Topic: Losing internet connection - whose fault?  (Read 4923 times)

Lishka

• Acre
Losing internet connection - whose fault?
« on: June 23, 2012, 14:24:25 »
Any advice and guidance, please (ie who do I blast out about it? ::) :P ;D)

Home broadband set-up has been absolutely fine for x years - so reliable I've not felt the need to shop around for anything more affordable, so....

BT line, Belkin router, TalkTalk internet provider have kept desktop & laptop puters connected at all times.

Until about 6 weeks ago.

Now, I invariably lose connection when I turn off my puters, when I put them in 'sleep' mode and sometimes in between.

Need to re-boot router & connection restored.

Please can anyone hazard a guess where/with whom the fault lies?

Grateful thanks for any input, Lish 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Losing internet connection - whose fault?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 15:15:48 »
It might be worth buying a new router and trying that first (if it makes no difference take it back), before you start the hassle- filled process of getting BT or Talk-talk to take responsibility. I speak from experience of both!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 15:16:51 »
Who provided the router as that sounds lile the loose thread here but it could be the line or something else.  Most likely that the router is droppping the connection when the PC disconnects..
I would start with the ISP (Talk Talk one of the worst rated for support!!) as they can check the line and they will know if there have been exchange realted issues.
If they supplied the router ask for a new one, if they didn't then they may supply you one. ISP supplied routers are normally fully configured - if you buy one yourself you will need all your details - username etc..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 15:18:44 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 15:47:13 »
Who provided the router as that sounds lile the loose thread here but it could be the line or something else.  Most likely that the router is droppping the connection when the PC disconnects..
I would start with the ISP (Talk Talk one of the worst rated for support!!) as they can check the line and they will know if there have been exchange realted issues.
If they supplied the router ask for a new one, if they didn't then they may supply you one. ISP supplied routers are normally fully configured - if you buy one yourself you will need all your details - username etc..

Thank you both, but going with this reply.....I bought the router -  PC World as I recall -  some years ago, but really the PC shouldn't disconnect when put in sleep mode, should it? It hasn't before...I'll talk with TalkTalk (hopefully mail them rather than 'talk'  :-[.) I know of their bad reputation but they've always worked for me which is why I've stayed with them. In fact everything's worked for me - until now!

Again, thanks both, you've given me something positive to work on.

Lish-the-PC numpty :o

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 06:50:53 »
Hi Lishka

I had a Belkin router that kept doing the same as yours.
Belkin routers have a lifetime guarantee.
If you phone there help line they will need the serial number of the router then they will run you through some tests.
You may need to phone two or three times 0845 607 7787 is the number i think
They replaced mine free of charge.

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 07:39:14 »
'mornin Tel (and another wet one here.Nightmare time for getting the garden done....) That's good news about Belkin, will get on to them on Monday. Thanks everso for the no. :-*

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:57:51 »
My internet connection started suddenly needing restarting.  Found the BT router overheating - very hot.   So I agree start with the router. 

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 10:51:04 »
My internet connection started suddenly needing restarting.  Found the BT router overheating - very hot.   So I agree start with the router. 

Again, many thanks for the input, definitely all given me something to work on come Monday and I'll let you know the outcome. You lot are brilliant 8)

Lish

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 16:40:20 »
At the risk of repeating the comments, def the router.
Tell Yap Yap to replace it with one of theirs. If they say it'll cost ya, tell 'em you'll stay with them for 12 months or--
You may pay postage but you're worth it!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 08:41:16 »
 ;D Just use the pathetic old widder woman routine and you will be ok Lishka.  :P :) :) :) :)
Gardening is the great leveller.

retro

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 16:22:29 »
How many phones do you have in total?  Are they all connected to a separate microfilter?

You might want to try a new microfilter first - your ISP will ask if you have (and tell you to) before proceeding, anyway.  You can get them in supermarkets for a few quid, or they sometimes come up in Pound Land and similar establishments.  Make sure you have one on each phone.  If you have more than three devices plugged into your line (e.g. router + 2 phones), try disconnecting so you only have 3 (phone lines have a REN limit of 3, each device has a REN of 1).

If you're using wireless, you could try updating your wireless drivers.  Disabling "minimum power consumption" in the wireless adapter's properties or turning off "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" in the adapter's power management settings can also help.  I seem to recall a few issues like this being remedied by a Windows Update, too.

Next, you might want to try updating the router's firmware.  ONLY update the firmware with a wired Ethernet connection (i.e. an Ethernet cable from PC to router) - DO NOT do it over wireless!  Your router should have come with an Ethernet cable if you don't have one plugged in currently.  Be careful to download the correct firmware off the manufacturer's website - note the version of your particular model, as there are often differences!  This step could well fix your problem.

Are these laptops or desktop PCs?  Desktops shouldn't really be put into sleep mode - it's better to shut them down completely.  They're usually not set up with the correct sleep profile by default.

It sounds like it's a hardware issue, so you should try and remedy that before calling Talk Talk... but it's Talk Talk you'd want to call, if anyone.  I'd say it sounds most likely to be power management issues, though.  Admittedly, it's a bit odd if it's happening all of a sudden on multiple computers... but at least you can call them and say "I've changed microfilters, updated firmware and drivers, and checked that power management isn't disabling my network card".

Incidentally, what happens if, instead of rebooting the router, you repair the wireless connection on a computer?  Or if you reboot the computer?

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 20:13:45 »
;D Just use the pathetic old widder woman routine and you will be ok Lishka.  :P :) :) :) :)

Thanks for the reminder Erci babs...oops, sorry..... ERIC :-[ I mostly forget these days that I'm an old penshner widderwoman wiv only a Black Bukkit to 'er name - but then the nice laydee in the white suit and the upside-down watch (why for?) comes to give me a Smartie an' a drop of gin-and-bitters or sommat and then after a little nap I'm ready to hit the Cyber High Road wiv me Technological How-To requests..........

Ye - Haaa!!

8) ;D

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 20:23:37 »
How many phones do you have in total?  Are they all connected to a separate microfilter?

You might want to try a new microfilter first - your ISP will ask if you have (and tell you to) before proceeding, anyway.  You can get them in supermarkets for a few quid, or they sometimes come up in Pound Land and similar establishments.  Make sure you have one on each phone.  If you have more than three devices plugged into your line (e.g. router + 2 phones), try disconnecting so you only have 3 (phone lines have a REN limit of 3, each device has a REN of 1).

If you're using wireless, you could try updating your wireless drivers.  Disabling "minimum power consumption" in the wireless adapter's properties or turning off "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" in the adapter's power management settings can also help.  I seem to recall a few issues like this being remedied by a Windows Update, too.

Next, you might want to try updating the router's firmware.  ONLY update the firmware with a wired Ethernet connection (i.e. an Ethernet cable from PC to router) - DO NOT do it over wireless!  Your router should have come with an Ethernet cable if you don't have one plugged in currently.  Be careful to download the correct firmware off the manufacturer's website - note the version of your particular model, as there are often differences!  This step could well fix your problem.

Are these laptops or desktop PCs?  Desktops shouldn't really be put into sleep mode - it's better to shut them down completely.  They're usually not set up with the correct sleep profile by default.

It sounds like it's a hardware issue, so you should try and remedy that before calling Talk Talk... but it's Talk Talk you'd want to call, if anyone.  I'd say it sounds most likely to be power management issues, though.  Admittedly, it's a bit odd if it's happening all of a sudden on multiple computers... but at least you can call them and say "I've changed microfilters, updated firmware and drivers, and checked that power management isn't disabling my network card".

Incidentally, what happens if, instead of rebooting the router, you repair the wireless connection on a computer?  Or if you reboot the computer?

Retro, I really appreciate your post and the time it took to think of it and get it into some coherent order to post, I really do. Thank you.

Unfortunately I haven't understood much of it :-[

Culpa mia.

Lishka

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 20:36:05 »
To you all, (cos I know you're just riveted to learn the outcome of this 'now-you-see-her, now-you don't' peep show)............well, you'll just have to wait until the end of the week.

Hadda fone call this morning followed by some mailed files and I'm working until Thursday afters.....

Going to do the Belkin 1st, Yak-Yak second routine, that OK?

Once more - many thanks Retro for your input 8)

Lish XXXs to all

retro

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 19:00:23 »
Yes, worth trying an upgrade of the drivers for your wireless card (it may be possible to get these by doing a Windows update and looking at the optional updates - but if not, your computer's manufacturer should have a download section on their support pages)... and also the router's firmware.

Don't forget that you'll have to use an Ethernet cable to flash your router's firmware - if you use wireless, you're highly likely to kill your router permanently!

I can't advise on specifics as I don't know what make and model your wireless cards are, nor your router.  However, you should try going here to start:

http://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/product/list/q/routers/

Find your router (noting that there are different versions of some... for example, there is the F6D4230uk4 and the F6D4230uk4A... and both have different sub versions, the v1000, v2000 or v3000) and see if there's a firmware download.  There will be instructions on the site, don't worry!

Likewise, I can't really give you specifics for disabling the power management on the wireless card as I don't know what version of Windows you're running (assuming it's Windows!)... but here's the general idea:

• Go to Device Manager (in Control Panel go to System then Hardware -> Advanced -> Device Manager)
  • Go to Network Adapters -> [Your Network Card] (there should only be one, I can't tell you what it will be called but it's your wireless card) - right click on this then select Properties
  • Choose the Power Management tab and untick the "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" option

Did rebooting the computer instead of rebooting the router have any effect?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal