Author Topic: soaking peas before planting?  (Read 17481 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
soaking peas before planting?
« on: April 07, 2012, 19:57:57 »
We are planting our first outdoor peas now.

Just wondering I'f people bother soaking theirs before planting and if so how long for ?

steve76

• Acre
Re: soaking peas before planting?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 21:07:51 »
Hi,
 I've never soaked mine and always plant straight in to the ground and have had no problems and good crops 8)

Some people may say i'm wrong but i guess its what ever works well for you. try both ways and see ;)

Steve.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 21:15:51 »
I fully agree with Steve I have never soaked peas before sowing and would be nervous to do so as they could tend to rot.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 23:02:18 »
 We have never soaked peas before planting they always do well ;D.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 23:18:28 »
No, same here.

In the ground and a bit of water and away they should go. Just remember though, the wildlife will be thinking about feeding themselves and their young to come, so perhaps make it a little more difficult for them to take your seed. I grow in loo rolls in the greenhouse then plant them out once germinated at about 3 inches tall with pea sticks to deter the birds too.

Ninny

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 23:23:37 »
never soaked them myself

i also start them off indoors,i just throw in a few seeds while planting them out to fill any gaps  :)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:30:41 »
I might be able to give you a better answer in a week or so.

I have found that fresh seed can be sown successfully straight in with a good germination percentage.

However a few weeks back I sowed some last year left over seed and got a poor germination rate.

So I chitted some seed and it seemed that about 95% sprouted so I am now waiting to see if the sprouted seed produces more actual plants.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 09:39:57 »
Some of the bought seed failed this year but every one of the saved seed came through, we've done the small peas in gutters and the huge ones in milk cartons  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:38:18 »
Mine went straight in the ground, no soaking about two weeks ago.   :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 11:43:56 »
Never soaked mine neither. I some straight into ground 10 days ago..and they are just starting to come through.. ;D
Next 'hurdle' is to keep sparrows away from snacking them .. ::)

Ru1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 15:39:14 »
I had a bad germination rate when we sowed our peas a month ago in the greenhouse.  These were non soaked.

We have just done  12 soaked and 12 un-soaked as I was unsure whether it was me or the seed to blame.

We won't know for a little, but trying the same approach may answer your question for you  :D

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 18:38:44 »
Since last terms peas not germinating we soak them in kitchen papper for 4 to 5 days then when each has shown willing ...3mm is enough..... I transfer them to toilet rolls about 2inches deep in riddled seed compost
and once we have 6 inch growth I dibber the loo rolls next to the Pea frame and off we go....do the same with whole beans ....and runners.

That said,ive had massive failures this season after trying to plant early and even with bubble wrap around them the frost has been an unwelcome sight with wilted plants.

I do have some growing straight in the dirt this year just to see if this method gets any better results.

always open to ideas,and interested to read so many folks are happy to sow direct.

Gaz

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 18:57:42 »
The only down side for planting straight into the ground is keeping them moist till they germinate and of coure the mice voles etc.
Last year i was a bit undr preasure so to make life easier for myself i planted direct as normal then laid clear pollythene oner the top with sided weighed down with lats and bricks. The lats kept the pest off and the polythene kept the soil moist and warm which i removes when i saw the peas pushing their heads.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 19:41:28 »
MICE...  >:(

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 22:00:16 »
I had never soaked but every year the mice enjoy the free meal I provide.  This year I have tried soaking them so they get away before the mice tuck in. 

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 17:45:19 »
A good remedy for mice is to dip the seeds in paraffin before planting. The mice wont smell them and it does no harm to the seeds..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 17:06:46 »
I start mine in pots, well away from rodents.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 17:13:54 »
Code: [Select]
good remedy for mice is to dip the seeds in paraffin before planting. paraffing with plants doesn't appeal for me..but I have used Olbas oil for similar purpose and its has worked.
This year I've not bothered, but instead I've given paths around  pea bed little splash of Jeyes fluid water...not noticed any mice trouble and plenty of plants are pushing trough soil.. ;) ;D

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 20:31:03 »
Not against soaking them in Paraffin but its not for me i think there is plenty of other methods available. The best method by far for me is starting them of in house guttering takes up no space easy to keep moist and easy to push out straight into the ground in neat rows.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 20:51:29 »
Guttering is fine for first early peas or a short row.. but when you have 40' of row it's easier to plant direct with the Jeyes, olbas, paraffin etc...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal