Author Topic: Council compost  (Read 6866 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Council compost
« on: April 06, 2012, 17:12:31 »
Compost arrived today, but not allowed to take any till tomorrow.  This is because the people that work don't ever get any.  Allot. sec forgot it was Good Friday so was surprised to see that the Council still delivered it.  Hopefully people will respect this, and we can collect from 9 am tomorrow, so Kev it will be allotment races.  Also pleased to see the rubbish truck today, so got rid of a few bits, that I didn't burn as neighbours not too happy about bonfires.  So all in all happy with Enfield Council, until we get the new bill.  Still have a load of manure left, as people don't seem to think it too good, but I put some round the currant bushes, and also a lovely load of woodchip.  We are so lucky. Allot Sec. a bit fed up as although we get all this lovely free stuff, people moan, it is in the wrong place, too far to walk, some people are greedy, it comes on the wrong day.  Such is life.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Council compost
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 18:19:34 »
Wow..all that for free! ..and still people find something to moan about.. ::)
I can only say that well done to those who organize all that free stuff for everybody and shame to the moaners...they have it too good.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 19:00:13 »
We get very little off the council here.  Have been asking for some woodchips for ages but still no joy.  They seem to take it to the site where the lottie shop is and we can get it there if we want, but its only open for 2 hours sat/sun/mon.  Which is OK if you have transport.  Never would we get compost free or a skip unless a plot was very bad and had things like old bikes etc to get rid of.
There was a lot laid off at the end of the year from the council, and as far as I know there is not parks department now.  :'( :'(
The allotment officer as also been off a long time due to a fall in the snow and as only just got back to work but in a different department. 
As goodlife said ''well done the organizers'' and as for the moaners if their not complaining about that I bet they would find something
else to gripe about.  Some folk are just that way given.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 19:08:57 »
Have been asking for some woodchips for ages but still no joy. 

Ask a local tree surgeon, around here they dump it for free, it can be a bit hit and miss as to exactly what you get!

We get nothing whatso ever from the council  :-[ :'(
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 19:15:50 »
Hartlepool Council dumps a load of free compost, from our recycled green waste collections in the brown bins-very confusing for OH who thinks the green waste should go in the green bin-anyway-it gets dumped in a central location every few months and anyone can help themselves to 3 bags, and the biodegradable bags are provided -thumbs up to Hartlepool!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 19:28:44 »
If you don't ask you don't get.  The horse manure comes from stables in London, Police horses I believe, but it is a lot of straw, but OK (not from Council).  We also had a load of scaffolding boards delivered, that was not from the Council but someone on the allotment that knew that old scaffolding boards had to be got rid of, and the day they delivered them everyone was up there, using them for raised beds.  The ones that were past their sell by date, were burnt.  We have had new fences, new toilets (2) which flush, and a new sink and the Council are supposed to clean the toilets every month (will see if that happens).  Our Allotment Sec. gets onto the Council and if they have any money for allotments and you put a good case to them, you may well get something, took two years for the new fences, and we had complaints that they spoilt the view over the playing fields, and they are green and open holes (if you see what I mean).  We also have new gates.  So lucky from Enfield, until I get the new Council bill for next year.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 19:29:12 »

Code: [Select]
thumbs up to Hartlepool!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 19:35:31 »
We've still got two loads of council compost so we don't need any at the moment
My new lottie neighbours brought in two loads of wood chippings and they did the whole path between us and in between their new raised beds
I think our trailer is due next week
As Borlotti says people moan whatever, we made good an area to drop the compost and our resident stirrer moaned it was too far for him to walk
But what you believe it the next day there must have been 50 + barrow loads on his plot, compost fairys I reckon
One guy at the moment has just put so much on his plot it's hard to believe, honestly if you see it you wouldn't believe it, it must be over 3 feet above the path
I know its none of my buisness but I know I will have to say something, I just won't be able to keep stoom, the fella is OK but, well the site sec is going to go ape
He's not even planted anything yet, just barrowing one after another loads of compost
Borlotti the reason it was delivered on a bank holiday, is because its not actually delivered by the council it's done by North London Waste.
 :)
Clean the toilets every month ? they should be done every day.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 19:45:00 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 19:40:05 »
You lot must be growing world best veg over there with all that compost.. :o I wish I could get compost fairy piling it on my plot.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 20:35:20 »
We get nothing done delivered or paid for on our small site by the council,but we pay next to nothing in rent so don't really expect anything.But we still have the wingers some people just cant help themselves  ::)  thumbs up to those people that put themselves forward to organise things for others on our sites. :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 20:52:46 by Lottiman »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 00:14:04 »
hadn't realised we got stuff delivered to Pickards Field Taurus... I'll have to get up there tomorrow....

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 00:28:30 »
Chriscross there wasn't much there on Monday, so unless they've had a delivery since you may be unlucky.  So here's hoping.  I'm hoping for some this Monday as I will be there serving in the shop.  But I don't see why they can't drop it off at each site and everyone have an equal share. 

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 08:40:41 »
If they dropped off the same at each site it would be great for us cos we're a tiny site :D

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 13:13:23 »
Council are supposed to clean the toilets every month (will see if that happens). 

We had a club house with loos at our old allotments and the plot holders cleaned them! Am really surprised any allotmenter would expect the council to clean private loos.

(Am assuming they are private to the allotment site only)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 15:47:19 »
It is a Council site and the Council provided the new loos.  I was surprised when I heard that the Council come and clean them every month, I haven't seen this being done yet.  Well if it is a service the Council provide I am not complaining. Hopefully people will respect them and keep them clean

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 18:39:05 »
Farmer up the road from me put 3 bucket loads over my allotment fence yesterday (with his tractor) saved me a lot of wheelbarrow trips, free and a great service too, i appreciate what i get!!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 22:21:54 »
There wasn't any compost left but I did get a few barrowloads of woodchip.... could have taken more but glad I didn't cos it would have taken even longer to sort out the van for my gig yesterday evening if I had.... Looks  like I'll be making a trip to the recycling yard to pick up a load soon then

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 13:44:16 »
Hmmm the council clear away our "green" waste but I notice we never get any back! Maybe I need to make a few enquiries...
Our lotties do have a trailer for members to borrow but as I have no towbar on my car, that is no good for me. Otherwise I would go fill it up at the pony club and bring a trailerful of stable waste back for everyone.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 15:05:40 »
You can buy bac compost from Wiltshire but I do not know what happpens to our green waste from Glocuestershire but it gets mixed with food waste so I am not sure I want it.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 20:02:26 »
Our compost gets tipped in all (I think) allotments in the borough, also farms and some parks
Back to the toilets, the council clean them because it's a council run site, you wouldn't go to the council swimming baths and be expected to clean the bogs after a nice relaxing swim.   :o    :P       :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal