Author Topic: Hows your hips ?  (Read 6149 times)

picman

• Acre
Hows your hips ?
« on: April 04, 2012, 09:30:48 »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Hows your hips ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:33:45 »
Oh...GRRR..
I read that earlier on..!! >:( That is so maddening how this 'poor' fella is treated.
We've got false hips on every other allotment and they do their lotties better than the 'original' ones.. ::)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:39:35 »
Absolutely crazy.  Another case of local councillors being out of touch with reality.  I had to check that it wasn't Newbury.
I wonder if it would be worth Simon leaving a comment and the link to his facebook page?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:48:29 »
I've just shared this Squash.  What utter nonsense.  The Town Council does not owe a duty of care and they are not liable if the poor chap's hip gives out.  Funny too that the chap is the chair of the allotment society, just smacks of victimisation.

If they've given him three weeks to go they must have forfeited the tenancy for some supposed breach of the rules, but it's not possible that such a rule would be fair or enforceable so he should stand his ground.  But it's the same old story, how can isolated individual allotmenteers stand their ground against the organised tyranny of their town councils?

This makes my blood boil, allotmenteers don't deserve this hassle.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:45 »
While I share everyone's dismay if true I do not trust the Daily Mail one bit..
They have an agenda and this fits right into it - I am not saying it isn't true but the Mail is not always a reliable source of credible information..

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:18:13 »
yep,read this laying in bed at 05.00 am on me Ipad,and had to wake Jude with the news that as me being a long suffering back sufferer shes gonna have to get out of bed early,and go and water the plot with our hose on the last day before somebody grasses us up for using it tomorrow.
Then go to work from 9.till 5 then pop back to the plot and plant our Keyna Beans before coming home to cook dinner,whist reaching over to water the seedlings on the rack in the kitchen,not forgetting to update the PC word document with whats been done.

I then woke up and thought....Oh that was a dream...dare I really suggest that....naaaaaaaaaaaaaa... ::)

anyway,back to the story....disgusting that a "Plotty" should be treated that way.......look...we are all getting old and there are hundreds of us suffering with various ailments,...me included...but does it stop us.....hell no...it gives me more encouragement to get over there and get stuck in.

I did also think that simon could take solace from this article by using it as a means to further his own
story by using the tabloids ...... ;)

GazNjude

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:26:37 »
I've written to the clerk of Eastleigh Town Council asking for some clarification.  I'll post the response, and if you want to ask yourself this is the contact page: http://www.eastwood-town-council.org.uk/component/contact/10-town-council/3-town-clerk

Yes, I was impressed how he got the story in the nationals, it made the Sun too.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:32:34 »
This is ridiculous.  But I suppose he could get a medical to say he is OK.   But then surely everyone should have to prove they are fit enough to take part in any council activity.  Maybe I am not fit enough to walk on the council pavements?

If you have a blue badge Thames water site shows that you can water your allotment.

http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/corp/hs.xsl/15443.htm

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:36:05 »
Has your plight not hit the nationals yet Simon ::)?

I'm surprised the BBC employ Carol Klein, I believe she's had both hers replaced due to gardening on clay ;D.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:11:28 »
It really dismays me at just how badly the elderly are treated in this country. 

I also read this today -  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9184693/Surgery-bans-elderly-patient-over-her-carbon-footprint.html
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 15:17:49 »
Ower Tone has had both hips done so we had better keep quiet about it eh!
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 15:51:51 »
It really dismays me at just how badly the elderly are treated in this country. 

I also read this today -  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9184693/Surgery-bans-elderly-patient-over-her-carbon-footprint.html
Good grief, I'm gobsmacked, just as well she's going to fight
I'm keeping quiet about my health :)

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 16:13:22 »

Well I am still recovering from a broken femur, had to have a friend dig the plot over for me this year ready for planting. I hope this does not go against me,  and I would have thought you go to your allotment on your own risk, poor, chap I hope he gets his allotment back.
   June.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 16:16:12 »
Discrimination against the disabled? Again?

Most sites encourage the disabled to take on plots. Is age related disability any different?

And do most sites not have insurance including 3rd party liability?

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 16:29:24 »
From what I understand insurance is only for liability if you can prove negligence. Letting a person who is fully in possesion of their faculties ( do we know any of them!!  ;)) continue to chose to garden is hardly negligent. It is free choice ::) ::) ::)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 16:41:49 »
Bonkers - sounds like age discrimation.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 17:10:46 »
It's probably not true, You should not believe what you read in the papers, particularly the Daily Mail.

If it is true, then it is just the council over reacting after all the scare stories, my advice to them is You should not believe what you read in the papers, particularly the Daily Mail.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 18:54:00 »
Beggars belief, I would say 99% of lotters have something physical or mental wrong with them, maybe its a new council ploy to get rid of allotments and build flats on the ground. For Gods sake Simon don't mention any ailments on here, even a splinter or a spelk as they say ooop north, or Newbury might go for a different tactic.    :-X   :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: GOOD NEWS! - Hows your hips ?
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 18:37:31 »
It was just said in East Midlands News that Arthur have been given his plot back.  The decision to send the letter in first place wasn't the whole council members decision and rest of the councilors wanted to restore the Eastwood council's image and they admitted he shouldn't have that letter in first place..particularly as he was singled out only one having some health issues..and there is many more in the site.
So Arthur is now happy chap and his fellow allotmenteers are going to help him to get the plot back in former glory..

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 21:26:02 »
I still think someone on the council should swing though.   >:( ::) :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal