Author Topic: Kohlrabi  (Read 2611 times)

MATTOCK MADNESS

• Not So New ...
Kohlrabi
« on: April 11, 2012, 20:18:48 »
Hi weathers been fine since last post got out and cleared up my barrasicca bed.This year I'm planting something Ive never grown before  kohlrabi.(how do you bring the seed on germination)What I'd like to know find out is  it an easy plant or does it take high maintenance ,I'm not bothered about either.Also what does it taste like? ;D

Poolcue

• Half Acre
Re: Kohlrabi
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 20:28:07 »
Kohlrabi is a german vegetable a bit like a turnip.There are 2 kinds purple and green.They are a brassica and best harvested at tennis ball size.They are gorgeous raw.The birds love them so you will need to cover them with netting. ;D

LittleBean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 20:40:52 »
My first time at growing them too... currently I have a load in the greenhouse and they are just appearing.  Got the purple variety as I thought they looked quite pretty.  I know very little about them either, not even sure what they taste like, just wanted to do something a little different!  By the way, germination rate seems pretty good, did mine in modules and most of them are up and only put one seed in each.

MATTOCK MADNESS

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 21:42:56 »
Hi both thanks for the advice I'm attempting both varieties. I will definitely keep them netted and I thought the purple was a bit different so I have to grow that.Also I think they will be a bit of a talking point on the allotment as they dont look like your average veg.Thanks again.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 22:08:24 »
Grew the green variety last term in modules and planted out tween our filderkrauts.
All grew very well,and yes,did attract attention from slugs that liked to bore into the
tennis ball sized veg...so I protected them with a 1/2 sawn 2 litre fizz bottle and this stopped the slugs but allowed the veggies to prosper.

I skin and chip them and steam for about 12 mins,serving them with a white sauce adds flavour as they do not in my opinion have much natural flavour.

Adding them to home made vegetable curry as a "bulk" item is also OK if you wish to use them up.

Gazza

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 22:54:40 »
I think if small they are very good raw, grated in salads or even salted & marinated with radish, spring onions,carrots, red peppers & cucumber sesame seeds with white wine vinegar dressing- but as far as using them cooked I use them as an alternative to turnips, soups,stews & casseroles if serving as veg in own right I would probably serve tossed with carrots

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 23:45:14 »
Eaten raw and small (a bit smaller than a tennis ball for me last year) I found that the purple ones were like a sweeter, less "hot" radish and I was perfectly cheerful eating it like an apple.... definitely on the "to grow" list this year... got some started with rest of the brassicas ... they need netting and as stated, the slugs like them as much as I do....

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58:29 »
Nice grated with a mayonnaise sauce, although also good stir fried and caramelised like baby turnips. A neighbour grew some, he is just  abeginner and he got some nice ones so they must be easy. Don't go in for them myself...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal