Produce > Drink ....

cork or screwcap - which wine bottle do i use

(1/3) > >>

kt.:
I have just purchased all the kit to make wine but the main supply of wine bottles I can get are screwcaps.  (unless i drink 24 bottles of wine that have corks.  So my questions are:

1.  Do you use bottles that need corks or bottles with screwcaps?
2.  Can screwcap bottles be sealed with corks?
3.  Can white wine be made in red bottles or do the bottles need to be white; & vice versa.

I intend to start with wine making kits before progressing onto fresh produce to make wine.  How many bottles do you get from a wine making kit & how many demi johns are required to accommodate 1 wine making kit.

Ninnyscrops.:

Safest way is the white plastic cork route, talking from experience with exploding parsnip wine in in-laws larder so many years ago that I care to remember, gosh did it take an age to clear up and the smell was still in there many months later  ::)

My beetroot wine is in saved bottles but with the plastic caps (together with authentic dust  :)). If you bottle a tad too early they will simple rise and you can push them down again. Not an expert at all, they'll be along shortly. :)

Ninnys

Edit: I think you can keep white wine in red bottles but never red wine in white  ;)

petengade:
You can cork screw cap bottles, colour of bottle does not matter, for white wine, but bottle my red wines in coloured bottles

Chrispy:
The kits are normally 1 gallon, which is 1 demijohn or 6 bottles of wine.

I would also go with the palstic corks, hearing a cork go pop is not as bad as heating a bang, and store your wine standing up, at least to start with, hearing a cork go pop is one thing, it's the glop glop glop that follows is what you want to avoid at all costs.

Uncle Joshua:
I use corks but then you need to buy a corker to put them into the bottles. most screw cap bottles will take a cork.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version