Author Topic: collecting rainwater without a roof  (Read 26253 times)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: collecting rainwater without a roof
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 08:13:21 »
Gwynneth come up one morning what i have for you will be easy to make and will work.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 14:10:31 »
Took this for you this morning. Not too pretty but it works  ;D

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 16:00:12 »
I have no idea whether this would work or not but.......

Water naturally flows down hill & fabric / natural fibre string absorbs water so would a large number of strings all tied together at the lowest point over a barrel yet radiating out and upward at the other ends (perhaps tied to the tops of a circle of canes) act as a rain catcher?

Just a daft thought perhaps and I've no time to experiment... came to mind thinking about wicking and old canvas tents.  ::)

Yes, a similar idea is used to collect early morning fog in the Himalaya. You need a BIG frame though, because the surface area of the string is small.

Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 16:20:27 »
 how doing as some ones already  said  set four stout posts in the ground put corrugated  clear plastic sheets  fasten them  to them by butter fly nuts /wing nut for easy removal summer you grow tomatoes etc under neath  winter time remove to avoid wind damage  our summers give adequate rain which would flow in the corrugated groves into a gutter and then into a barrel

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 17:22:21 »
Wow!  Thank you for all of your brilliant ideas- I need to show this thread to my handyman husband!   :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 16:55:18 »
I have no idea whether this would work or not but.......

Water naturally flows down hill & fabric / natural fibre string absorbs water so would a large number of strings all tied together at the lowest point over a barrel yet radiating out and upward at the other ends (perhaps tied to the tops of a circle of canes) act as a rain catcher?

Just a daft thought perhaps and I've no time to experiment... came to mind thinking about wicking and old canvas tents.  ::)

Yes, a similar idea is used to collect early morning fog in the Himalaya. You need a BIG frame though, because the surface area of the string is small.

I was thinking of a system they use in California (Sierra Nevada - grapes I believe).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal