Author Topic: cutting the grass lotty paths  (Read 4286 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
cutting the grass lotty paths
« on: June 14, 2012, 18:42:13 »
To -day OH was really peed off as our Lotty nabour who hardly ever cuts the paths around his 3 Lotty's, my OH cut our paths and his half to keep it tidy ,we couldn't believe our eyes half our path was cut leaving our path all untidy,4yrs the OH cut his paths the lazy b-----d couldn't run the mower down our side off the path . ???

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: cutting the grass lotty paths
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 19:11:07 »

Normally.  .  .  .the rule is the path to the right of the allotment is your responsibility.  As I'm at the right hand end of the row I get the pleasure of an all rounder.    ::)

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 19:34:49 »
Outrageous! And almost seems like more effort to do that than just to mow the b****y thing!  :o

There's no system at our site, and both the paths either side of mine are officially inside my plot boundary, so I feel slightly miffed sometimes that I'm paying to rent shared paths, and there's a lot of mowing to do. No one shares the mowing, though they use the path.

The plots are thin strips - 2 or 3m wide by 28m long, so that's a large proportion of pathway to mow!

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 07:01:05 »
This problem causes all sorts of arguments on our site. For my part I see it as childish just to do 'half-a path' and also it can be dangerous if this happens all the time. The evenness of the path can be lost causing  a difficult surface to walk on. I reallly takes little time to cut all the path and at the end of the day if you only cut half, it is you that has to look at the mess left. My fellow plot holder and I usually cut the main path that is 8 foot wide from our three plots down a further 5 plots. As for the dividing paths, if we didin't cut the one between us and our neighbour then we would be hacking our way through grass over 2 foot high, just like the whole of their plot.
It seems that tidy allotment paths are left to the few who care on most sites.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 08:34:21 »
The problem i had when cutting the neighbours path was all the stones & string they
had left there it played havoc with the mower

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 08:48:53 »
The other thing that upsets the OH for the passed two yrs hes patched in all the bald parts of the paths with any bits of sods, it looks ten times better to look at and walk on, the joker on the other side of us said it was all a waist of time ,OH told him it was his time to waist !and that we did like looking at a nice tidy path,waist of breath with some folk you'll always get a few stout b------ s ::)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 09:06:27 »
I have a thin grass path either side on my 60' X18' lotty and only do the edge and bit a bit of it as I do it with sheares
as the push along is too heavy for me. we had a petrol strimmer but it was OH toy andI gave it away as I couldn't work it! both my neigbours have got power ones and don't appear to mind but could be fuming like your OH  ::)
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 09:24:27 »
We have a lady next to us on the other side of the path OH dose her edges and cut her path as the lawn  lawnmower its very heavy, we don't mind helping others that have difficulty's or watering when folk are away on holiday as Lotty pals do it for us ,its nice to be nice and it keeps things nice and friendly.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 09:39:33 »
I have an odd situation.Imagine my gate,to the right is the side of my plot...............a fence has been made of chicken wire that is part of a cage structure to protect his peas.A gap right at the end of it leading to next door lottie.

The Lotti was overgrown so I started to dig a bed out next to the fence only to have a not left me to say it was on the pathway between the allotments.As all the plots are wire fenced because of rabbits it was difficult to get a feel for this.

I thought I was on my allotment.Nothing was mentioned of this at the handover.

I have let it go even though I am sure if the tape come out we would find he has more than a half plot....we

are supposed to have two halves of an old full plot.You can see just by looking at it that his is bigger.

I have decided to say nothing as I like my plot and I want a quiet life

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 12:16:39 »
By and large we all manage well.  One chap has a mower, and I have a strimmer.  We both do more than our strict "share", which helps to keep things neat and tidy for those who can't (or won't) cut their own paths.

I'm a bit surprised that one of the newcomers, the school next door to the site, is one of the worst offenders.  They've created a nice neat plot for the children to grow things, but it's surrounded by 3 foot tall grass.  I've strimmed the bit adjacent to one of our own plots, but I really need to have a word to see if they'd like me to strim the rest.  I don't want to cut it if it's meant to be a butterfly sanctuary or some such thing!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:26:27 by Melbourne12 »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 14:09:28 »
We went to our plot 2 days before Oh went in for his op. He cut the path the full length of the plots belonging to 3 people. His op went wrong so a 3 day stay became 12 ::). I doubt the lady next to us who has a strimmer will do our bit, she did her side between the the last 2 cuts that Oh did. He has to move bags of rubbish that have been there as long as we have on the adjoining plot which we were promised & have now been told it's gone to someone else ::).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal