Author Topic: Spuds in Pots/Containers  (Read 5980 times)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Spuds in Pots/Containers
« on: February 19, 2005, 22:07:25 »
I thought I would do an idiots guide to how I grow very early potatoes in pots, plenty of people have talked about growing them this way so it may be of use to some. Note: This is the way I do it, maybe not the right way but it works for me! I will include links to photos so you can see what I am on about.

First of all you need to buy some seed potatoes. There are plenty in the garden centres/shops at the moment but don’t wait to long. Select a first early variety. This then needs to be set up to “chit”. I use a combination of egg boxes or plastic trays. Try and find firm seed potatoes that do not show any signs of damage or disease.

These are placed in a frost free, cool, light spot and left to sprout or “chit” for a few weeks. When the chits are a centimetre or so in length they are ready for planting:

Be careful not to allow the sprouts to get too long as they may break when planted. One or two chits per seed spud is fine.

Next I get the pots ready. I use large plastic pots that will last years. Make sure they have good drainage holes in the bottom, add more with a drill if required, and then add a layer of well rotted manure to the bottom:

Next add a thin layer of multi purpose compost to sit the seed potatoes one. (I do not sit the seed potatoes directly on the maure as this can burn the new roots, others do sit them direct on the manure and seem happy, personal choice I guess). In these sized pots I put two seed potatoes per pot. Sit the potato with the chits facing upwards:

The final step is to just cover the seed potatoes with a layer of compost taking care not to damage the chits. Then make sure you label the pot and give a little water depending on how moist the compost is:

Keep the pots in a warm, frost free greenhouse, earthing up as the sprouts break the surface of the compost until you reach the tops of the pots. Keep the compost moist to begin with, especially until the first shoots break the surface.

Move the pots outside after frosts have finished and keep well watered. Feed with a general purpose fertilize if you wish and as harvest approaches root around with your hand in the compost to check the size of the tubers. Start to harvest when they are the half the size of hens eggs. Do not try to store the tubers for more than a day or two as they quickly loose their exceptional flavour.

As the season progresses I will post more pictures so you can see progress. I hope some one finds this of use.

There is no beating home grown new potatoes cooked straight from the ground. They knock “Jersey Royals” into a cocked hat on taste.

Also growing in pots/compost removes many of the problems such as slugs/eel worm and they are very easy to clean, just run the new spuds under a tap and pop them in a pan or water with a sprig of mint to cook……yumm!

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Spuds in Pots/Containers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 22:43:04 »
What size pots do you use?

I'm considering doing the same as you this year.   My biggest concern at present is the overall cost of the project.   My local focus store is selling 300 litres of general purpose compost for £10 which is very good, but the other cost I need to take into consideration is the cost of the buckets/containers.

How much did your containers cost?

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 22:51:25 »

I'm considering doing the same as you this year.   My biggest concern at present is the overall cost of the project.   My local focus store is selling 300 litres of general purpose compost for £10 which is very good, but the other cost I need to take into consideration is the cost of the buckets/containers.

CC

Most of the pots are about 14" across. I cannot recall how much they cost but all are below £5 each and are now in at least their 5th year of use. Most came from places such as Wilko's. I basically used to buy the largest and cheapest plastic pot I could find.

Also don't forget that these post will be re used each year in the greenhouse for things such as peppers, aubergines, chillies, toms, etc.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 00:02:27 by sandersj89 »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 23:02:55 »
Thanks for sharing that Jerry, I may just give it a go as I have a large plastic container measuring 18" diametre by 14" high from Wilko £2.25 each  :o (I swear I have no connection with said firm) ;D I'll try and encourage the Grandkids to grow some 8)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 14:47:47 »
I'm going to use my washbasket for growing spuds as I've just broke a lump out of it.  Clumsy so and so  ;D  It's one of those plastic ones with plenty of holes in the sides.  I thought I'd use lots of manure (few weeks old) with a bit of multi purpose on top.  I got a massive bag from our local garden centre for £3.75.

I don't know if I read it on here but someone says you can use comfrey leaves to act as a bit of a buffer between the manure and the spud to stop it causing the spuds to go scabby.  I shall try it.  I think I have some comfrey leaves somewhere.

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 18:15:53 »
Great post! I'm looking forward to starting some off early, especially since I've ordered far too many seed spuds...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 18:23:58 by shug »
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 19:41:34 »
ey up Shug    I will take a photo of my  wash basket spuds er when I can find my camera and the spuds.  Now where did I put em?  No, they're not in the car, that's the Red Barons.  My car has to double up as a shed, well it's a dog house as well but that's another story  ;D

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 19:43:40 »
thanks Jerry, that's how i've been growing mine-nice to know i'm along the right lines!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 12:17:45 »

Yup !! Have grown mine this way too & agree the tubers need only

be rinsed under tap to remove compost.

I also chuck a handful of garden mint into the cooking pot &

when done 1lb of butter  YUMMY :P :P

Debs

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 12:19:27 »

BTW Jerry, top marks for the accompanying photo's, which are

excellent aid  for any new veggie growers ;)

Debs

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 13:13:06 »
Jerry (or anyone)

If I plant then in pots and cover them with fleece will they be ok outside in a few weeks (once we've emerged from Siberia?) No greenhouse here.
gone to pot :D

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 16:41:39 »
Jerry (or anyone)

If I plant then in pots and cover them with fleece will they be ok outside in a few weeks (once we've emerged from Siberia?) No greenhouse here.

Yes they should be ok as long as you remember that being in a pot their roots will be exposed to frost damage. Simply wrapping the pot in bubble wrap will help on cold nights or bring it inside over night.

Jerry

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 15:05:05 »

CC

Flower buckets are fine and most florists will give these away for free! (mine came from the local tesco express)

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 16:13:39 »
Wilkos have pots same size as Jerrys I believe £1.69 each, unfortunately could not buy any as had too much to carry, but will be going back.

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 22:09:48 »
Great advice and pictures Jerry, you've convinced me to have a go at this. Off to get some muck and pots tomorrow!!  ;D

Thanks,
TimJ

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 18:15:10 »
BeforeI had time to go back to wilkos to buy the pots my son found the same ones in Sommerfield even cheaper £1.49- Approx 15" in diameter.
They also had some bigger pots too.

Ihave planted a few early potatoes in them but having seen Jerry's photos have realised I have not labelled them.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 21:54:51 »
??? Sorry if I'm sounding like a stuck record but £2.25 for an 18"x14" deep pot, black with yellow handles for easy lifting? Is that not a steal? You only have to put holes in for drainage, I have a couple of large bamboo plants growing in them and doing very well. 8)

I am going to put some early spuds in one to see how they fare, BTW did anyone see Gardeners World tonight, I thought it was a great show, can't wait to see the jungle garden grow and the vegetable container garden, the rest was pretty good too. 8)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 11:25:01 »
Why does everyone most people insist on paying for pots but £2.25 or any price is not  "steal" when, as Viv says, they are free from florists!!!

On the original advice, which is great, especially the photos, I don't think that chitting is necessary.

Chitting is used to get tubers growing that can't be planted outside as it is presently too cold - the container will be in the warm so the sprouts will appear at the same rate as if they were being chitted

BUT they will also produce, at the same time, the fine roots (such as you see if you leave them in the dark in a polybag). These don't apear when chitting and then have to grow after they are placed in the compost - planting straight in the compost will therefore produce an even earlier crop

Phil

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2005, 20:10:24 »
Why does everyone most people insist on paying for pots but £2.25 or any price is not  "steal" when, as Viv says, they are free from florists!!!

Because they are not cleared for the production of food and probably contain toxins?

This is an example of what can happen if you are unable to maintain a constant temperature:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,7228.0.html
Because EJ's thermostat is cutting out at 11 every night the soil is cooling to ambient:
Yup, my pineapple is in my conservatory, suppose it shouldn't be in the greenhouse thread, but I do treat my conservatory as a greenhouse of sorts as it is packed with plants, cuttings, seeds and seedlings!  ;D  I couldn't tell you the temperature, but it certainly isn't constant.  The conservatory has central heating and runs on the same program as the house.  Whatever the weather, 11pm at night the heating goes off and it doesn't come on again until 6am.  Some mornings it is very chilly in there, but I have never known it be frosty.  In the summer it bakes hot as hot can be as it is south facing and only receives shade from about 4pm from the neighbours house which is set at an angle from ours. 

I am glad you all liked the pics.  It was thrilling to successfully grow the pineapple and I am hoping for a repeat performance this year.  Just wish I could get my bananas to set fruit!
Research has shown that plants take up most of their nutrients in the hours around dawn. What is happening to EJ's chili is that the top growth is warming up quickly in the air at this time and going into active growth. The roots ability to absorb nutrients in the still chilled soil is depressed so the plant is showing a general nutritional deficency. If you cannot maintain soil temperature overnight around potted potatoes, such as in an unheated greenhouse, then you may probably be better of chitting them first as no advantage will be gained burying them, indeed, cool moist soil may well promote diseases.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 07:26:04 »
Helpful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal