Author Topic: Running an AGM  (Read 3981 times)

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
Running an AGM
« on: March 26, 2012, 19:54:22 »
Got an AGM on Wednesday.

I have

1. Apologies
2. Minutes of last meeting (which one? the previous agm?) referring any matters arising to the AOB
3. AGM Business:
    Accounts
   Summary of year?
Elections of chair, secretary and treasurer and 6 committee members
4. AOB

We will need to collect plot fees and I imagine it is probably best to get this bit done first.

I have asked someone from another local allotment group to come and 'chair the elections' rather than try and do that bit ourselves.

Am a bit stressed as there has been some tension on the site this week.

pumkinlover

Re: Running an AGM
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 19:57:15 »
Is it a new site? or a new committee?

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 20:04:46 »
Sort of both.
We formed an informal group about 15 months ago but only got on the site about last April - so this is our first proper AGM.

Our current chair isn't a plot holder but we now have a plot holder willing to be chair.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 20:06:30 »
So whats the tension.   ???
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 20:23:37 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 20:12:26 »
Someone had visitors to their plot who they got drunk with. One visitor then let their dog run across everyone's plot and the two visitors then climbed over the fence to 'go fishing'.

Someone (me) asked them to put the dog on a lead twice and this led to drunken raised vouce   'you don't own this site' etc.

The chair is the wife of the plotholder.

the plotholder has already fell out with the person they were sharing with (alcohol related fallout) and they have left the site.

The chair then appeared and after agreeing he shouldn't have let the dog loose etc starting to go on one about 'it's all because he fell out with X'. I did point out I didn't think giving me verbal abuse was actually anything to do with X.

The council are very arms length cos they are making all sites in the area go self-managed.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 20:49:24 »
This is my agenda for our AGM

1.   CHAIRMAN’S INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS
2.   APOLOGIES AND SIGNING IN SHEET
3.   MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
4.   MATTERS ARISING
5.   SECRETARY’S REPORT
6.   TREASURER’S REPORT
7.   SEED SECRETARY’S REPORT
8.   SHOW  REPORT
9.   ELECTION OF OFFICERS

THE MINUTES OF THE AGM ARE DISPLAYED ON THE “NOTICE BOARD” NEAR THE MAIN ENTERANCE FOR THOSE NOT ON E-MAIL.  PLEASE READ PRIOR TO THE AGM. IF YOU REQUIRE A COPY PLEASE LET ME KNOW. 

IF YOU HAVE ANY THING THAT YOU WISH TO DISCUSS  IN THE MEETING PLEASE LET THE SECRETARY  KNOW AT LEAST TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE MEETING.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL POSITIONS ON THE COMMITTEE ARE OPEN TO ANY MEMBERS, PLEASE LET SECRETARY OR CHAIR KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN STANDING (OR WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION ON WHAT IS INVOLVED), TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO THE MEETING.

In my Secretary's report I talk about the good things that have happened on the site, news etc. also any problems and what has been done to resolve them, then any plans/ changes in the next year.
By not having any other buisness as an open session and asking for  items for discussion before it ensures that you know what is going to crop up beforehand. Try next year to have a committee meeting very soon before the AGM so the committee are all up to date with any issues, as the sort of problem you are describing is best sorted out at a committee meeting.

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:38 »
So no chair's report?

I'll aim to save everything for a committee meeting - suspect that's best as you say.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 08:02:47 »
My agenda for Thursday

1. Welcome by Chair and apologies [the hall is booked to 9.30pm so we aim to deal with business at a brisk pace].
2. Minutes of A.G.M. held on 24 March 2011.
3. Matters arising
4. Chairman's report.
5. Secretary's report
6. Letting Secretary's report.
7. Treasurer's report.
8. Accounts
9. Election of Officers and Committee. In addition to the four officers post there are four committee posts. Nominations for these posts will be taken on the night, and those seconded will go forward to election. 
10. Site days: dates; jobs; tools; materials; safety equipment; attendance.
11. Strimmer.
12. Site hut.
13. Site and boundary security, fly tipping.
14. Neighbourly issues including plot boundaries, paths, water supply, trees, huts, bonfires etc.
15. Relations with Lewisham Council, Network Rail, Thames Water, and other external bodies.
16. Health and safety and insurance issues.
17. Rules and enforcement.
18. Any other business.
19. Payment of rents. Please allow priority to those with cheques, recording receipt of cash payments causes delay.

It is a bit lengthy but our CHairman like a chat!!

To avoid hassle and tension on the night it is neccessary to run it properly,  Your Chair MUST keep to the agenda and not allow it to get out of hand - ie people can only address the meeting when invited to, votes must be taken correctly.

As per pumpkinlover above we always have a committee meeting directly before the AGM so we don't have any surprises like resignations plus we can all catch up.

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 08:21:04 »
Hm .. I'd better give the poor old Chairman a chance I guess, spot the obvious mistake- that was last years agenda and he never noticed!!!! :-[

We only have an hour for our meeting as we hold it in a pub on Sunday morning and they need to get the bar opened so we can start to have a drink and have Sunday dinner. ;) ;) ;)

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 14:25:15 »
A meeting in daylight? Shocking waste of allotment hours lol.

Ours is held in a private members club with a bar. That sounds grander than you might think. :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 18:07:05 »
A meeting in daylight? Shocking waste of allotment hours lol.

Ours is held in a private members club with a bar. That sounds grander than you might think. :)

I agree but there's not much I can do as secretary....I kind of HAVE to go ;)

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 21:34:05 »

I agree but there's not much I can do as secretary....I kind of HAVE to go ;)

:-)
It does sound very civilised.

Some of our issues have resolved .. Which is good.

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 07:19:53 »
Hope it goes ok.

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 07:42:21 »
Thanks. Me too.

The chair has resigned.
But only after standing outside the treasurers house and gobbing off at her husband for half an hour. Oh and apparently doing the "facebook message gossip amongst people who know us" ... but tbh that's all so childish and pathetic it has made me smile a bit.

Her husband isn't talking to me, or the treasurer so the meeting will be interesting. :)

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 08:17:12 »
Well the meeting went quietly. Which was good.

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal