Author Topic: By Jove she was right!  (Read 2353 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
By Jove she was right!
« on: November 28, 2004, 23:26:19 »

My Witloof (chicory) being forced inside pots in the conservatory.  I plan to start another pot off tomorrow!  Thanks for all of your help with this Ina, Cleo and others, looks like I have cracked it and I can't wait to eat them!  ;D

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:By Jove she was right!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 08:47:01 »
Looks good enough to eat EJ.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 16:49:13 »
Looks good enough to eat EJ.

Er, Isnt that the whole point BB?

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 21:37:17 »
All right EJ!
You wrote you can't wait to eat them but you'll have to wait a bit, they're not ready for a while. I think with christmas you'll be able to put a nice bowl of witlof salad on the table. Nice if you put some apple cubes in it too or pieces of hard boiled egg. Any simple dressing will do but I always add extra lemon juice for a bit of tang and less bitterness.
Mine are at about the same stage as yours, I have about 15 going at the moment and another batch rolled in newspaper in the fridge to be forced later. It's the first time I tried to store the roots that way to be forced at a later date. They seem to be keeping well, still firm and healthy looking. I plan to plant them in the middle of december orso.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 23:37:44 »
Thanks Ina!  I will definately try serving them as you suggested.  I am only doing a few at a time, as it is only me that eats them...sometimes I think I am the only person that eats any veggies in this family...but when I first lifted the pot to see if they were doing anything and I saw this, well, the neighbours heard me cheering!  ;D

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 12:07:38 »
Well done Emma! They look really great. Must feel like a real achievement.
Hope you and Ina won't mind going over the whole thing again next year when I have a go at growing them. And I hope I do as well as you did.

SB

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 13:46:43 »
What a great sight EJ.  Definitely something to cheer over.  They look so young and fresh - it will be wonderful to see them continuing to grow.  That sounded like a lovely salad Ina, - so lucky you EmmaJane!   :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 18:12:57 »
Just to remind you, this picture of my witlof last year.
The loose outside leaves are removed (but saved and eaten haha) so they really looked good.                      

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal