Author Topic: Artichokes  (Read 1899 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Artichokes
« on: March 10, 2012, 18:08:54 »
The ones you dig up like taties, mates gave me a big of them. What can i do with them.

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 18:29:15 »
Scrub, boil or steam, squeeze off the skin with your asbestos fingers, then fry in butter and garlic for a few minutes.

Make soup.

Scrub, roast along with any other roast veg (potatoes, parsnips, squash etc) and cut skin off when eating.

Google for more? I love them - many don't.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 18:38:11 »
CHIPS!.... ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 18:59:47 »
I love them too....... but I do not grow them anymore :-[ :-[ :-[

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:17:16 »
Don't forget the windeeze ;D ;D ;D.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:59:00 »
Yesterday I made a salad of grated carrot and grated raw artichokes (add lemon juice to gratings to stop the artichokes discolouring) plus olive oil and a little of my blackberry vinegar, and it was really good.

A friend of mine sometimes serves them sliced raw in a lettuce salad plus pieces of hot fried bacon - they have a crisp texture like radishes, but a blander taste.

Last night i scrubbed and roasted one (raw) with some sausages as an experiment, and liked the firm, crisp result, but think I should have steamed it for a few minutes first.

Can you tell I have a lot of them? Mine did not do very well last year but my daughter insisted I plant 6 for her in her London plot, which is tiny and therefore easy to fertilise; I was sure they would be too much for her.... We dug one up on Sunday, and the roots/tubers were immense!  We divided the results between us so I am trying out different ways of getting them down my husband....

Five more huge strong plants to dig up.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 20:57:21 »
Hope this isn't too off topic, but my French friends say the pink variety which tends to be much rounder is better tasting. Can anybody confirm? I picked up a few in a French supermarket but have never seen them for sale here.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:52:07 »
Hope this isn't too off topic, but my French friends say the pink variety which tends to be much rounder is better tasting. Can anybody confirm? I picked up a few in a French supermarket but have never seen them for sale here.
I have eaten both and can't say I see any difference. They are easier to peel though as less knobbly!
I love Jerusalem artichokes (Here they are called "Topinambour") mashed or parboiled and sauteed. They have a lovely asparagus type taste. Here they are not always well liked as people had to eat them during the Occupation so it has bad memories. Like a lot of heirloom veg they are undergoing a revival in gastronomy but they are not to everyone's taste.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal