Author Topic: Facebook Campaign  (Read 43540 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: Facebook Campaign
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2012, 09:15:24 »
Have already done that Simon and hope all of us Allotment holders will do the same.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2012, 10:18:37 »
This is my reply to Julian

Thankyou for replying to my email so promptly.As you said "there are two sides in every disagreement".If I had been an allotment holder on Mr Kirby's site then I

too would have objected to such an  enormous rent increase. Just because he is the only person left from that allotments site that is still standing his ground does not make him wrong. I think that rather than shoot him down you should speak to him and try to resolve the situation

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:48:47 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2012, 12:44:36 »
So is that what you want, for council members to resign?

I am just wondering what is your definition of success.
Right now I need them to be open, honest and accountable.  That means they recognise the unlawfulness of the Notice to Quit and start talking to me about what went wrong, why, and how to make it right. It's not very helpful at this point to say what I think "right" looks like.

A meeting with a member of the council would be good but it has to be about the future.  If you spend it talking about what they did wrong, why etc you are not going to get anywhere.  And they are accountable, come re-election day.

That's why you have to do some very clear thinking about what you want and how realistic it is.  If you want an apology, well that is not going to happen is it?

And there are THREE sides to every story: your side, my side and the truth.

Good luck with what you decide and I really hope you get to keep your allotment.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:47:42 by Ellen K »

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2012, 13:07:52 »

Good luck with what you decide and I really hope you get to keep your allotment.

This should be your focus now Simon, with you as a tenant they know they have to do things correctly from now on, pick up the pieces and keep your plot...if you can. Pay under protest if you must..

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2012, 08:36:21 »
A waiting game now Simon.

If there is any justice left in this country the court will not let them do this to you.

Good luck.

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2012, 13:06:02 »
My apologies, I am too harsh .... but don't lose your allotment over this.

You have done enough: what you have said is in the public domain forever and you can't have much new to add.

So sign the gagging order and keep your garden.

:-X

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2012, 18:27:43 »
My apologies, I am too harsh .... but don't lose your allotment over this.

You have done enough: what you have said is in the public domain forever and you can't have much new to add.

So sign the gagging order and keep your garden.

:-X
Even if I wanted to Ellen, it's not on offer.  Anyway, it's only an allotment, hardly something worth sell-out my principles over is it?  Isn't that how dictatorships start, because no one objects to the little stuff?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2012, 02:30:58 »
Mediation was always our first step when I worked with parents and pupils in a large school. Argument is something best avoided but......

Problem is when one side does not want to meet to discuss the options and does not want to seek a solution.

On occasions the heavy handed attitude of officialdom can put a stop to attempts to seek agreement.

Principles are sometimes heavy things to cart about and so very hard to let go of.

If things do not go your way Unwashed I wish you calm and contentment.... they are both things I find it difficult to obtain when I feel someone has done me wrong.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2012, 08:07:10 »
Anyway, it's only an allotment, hardly something worth sell-out my principles over is it?  Isn't that how dictatorships start, because no one objects to the little stuff?
(Quote by Unwashed)

I agree with you Simon. You can always get another plot. Cow towing now would mean that all of this has been a waste of time and that you only did it as a whim.
It's very difficult to leave an allotment that you have worked your butt off to get it to produce something, Added to that, the money you have spent on it.
Sometimes our self respect is worth more than anything else.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41:09 »
I hope with all my heart that you get to keep your plot Simon.The game is not over yet.

Whatever the outcome I think you can keep your head held high.

Let us hope Newbury council do the decent thing.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2012, 08:55:36 »
Any news Simon ?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2012, 11:27:27 »
Any news Simon ?
Thanks Betula.  I think I mentioned how the Council had fenced round the plot with temporary fencing and how I'd taken it down and am still working my plot.  From this week's Newbury Weekly News:
Newbury Town Council has reported an allotmnt holder for criminal damage following a dispute over the legality of his eviction.

Wash Common resident Simon Kirby, who has been embroiled in a long-running dispute with the council over an increase in his allotment fees, last week refused to accept the legality of his eviction and removed the fence that had been placed around it.

Mr Kirby said "they have no grounds to evict me, there has been no court order, and if the eviction is illegal, I am not doing anything wrong in removing the barrier around the allotment"

The town council had a different opinion and reported Mr Kirby to the police.

The leader of the council, Julian Swift-Hook (Lib Dem, Pyle Hill), said "the fencing was the council's property and had been installed as part of the legal process of taking possession of the plot following Mr Kirby's eviction.

"Mr Kirby's actions in removing the fencing and continuing to access his former allotment amount to criminal damage and trespass, we are advised, which the council has had no choice but to report to the police.

Mr Kirby had neither been arrested nor charged, and no police action had been taken at the time the Newbury Weekly News went to press yesterday (Wednesday).

Previously Mr Kirby had reported the chief executive of the council, Graham Hunt, accusing him of refusing to hand over minutes of a council meeting.  After one summary hearing, the Crown Prosecution Service dropped the charge against Mr Hunt because it had not been brought in time.

I heard too late to make the paper, but the police have reviewed the matter and are aware of the issues and are not taling any action.

I have again written to the Council suggesting that they should just let the matter rest now, and I hope that Julian Swift-Hook will accept the olive branch.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:30:50 by Unwashed »
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

alexE

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2012, 12:55:27 »
Simon, I've liked and shared. I used to live in Reading and still have family/friends up there so you may get some more "local" support

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2012, 17:38:10 »
Bloody hell Simon they are really out to get you.Shocking behavior  >:(.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2012, 22:14:00 »

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2012, 08:10:58 »
Bloody hell Simon they are really out to get you.Shocking behavior  >:(.
Thanks Betula, it's not pretty is it.  I sincerely hope that the Council take my olive branch now and just let it all drop, we could all do with some peace.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2012, 08:19:46 »
Totally agree Simon.

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2012, 09:17:36 »
Presumably you are still gardening Simon?

And the evil ones are hopping up and down with impotent rage  ;D

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2012, 17:17:33 »
Hi Simon,

I hope things turn out okay for you and you can get another plot. I'm on the Parsons site in Newbury and seen the councils buffoonery in action, and have also attracted the attention of the services officer for allegedly neglecting my chickens. Funnily enough when challenged they couldn't back up the accusation with any other details - and it seemd that they know naff all about allotments and livestock in any case. In the space of a few days I had two phone calls, a letter and have an email trail with their arrogant and condescending replies.

I think once you're under their gaze you're doomed.... I'm beginning to imagine the clock tower on the councils offices is like the Eye of Sauron.

When I wanted something in return, some of my chickens were stolen as the site is not secure (unmaintained hedge and inadequate fence) I was given the brush off. Typical jumped up council, all about authority but no responsibilty.

Cheers.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2012, 18:16:35 »
It's time these bullys were voted out.    >:(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal