Author Topic: Old seed.  (Read 1465 times)

gerbera

• Half Acre
Old seed.
« on: March 23, 2012, 21:12:22 »
Had a dreadful seed-buying/swapping habit a few years back when I had a garden to grow in. Have now got a lottie and have dug out the seed treasure-trove from days gone by.

I'm having mixed success with germination and would like some advice as to what to bin outright, what to do with the rest. I know some people soak seed/pre-germinate etc. But having never needed to, I never have. It seems a shame to waste some wonderful seeds, but I only have so much space for modules etc.

Advice please?! ???

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
Re: Old seed.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 22:51:48 »
Oooooooooh I had that T-Shirt  ;D

So, any old cream pots, yog pots, veg or meat trays, put some holes in the bottom of them. Fill them with mp compost and bung them in and water, an entire packet of doubtfuls or probables per container!

Then you'll have you work cut out for all those that do germinate. I had a pepper germination explosion once  ::)

Good luck  :)

Ninnys

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 22:55:39 »
Haha ;D ;D yep it sounds like it will all or nothing Gerbera. Always worth a go......a few surprises coming up methinks  ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:35:12 »
I have sown 8 different varieties of brussels from 2006 and all put one have come uo in the last two days.

Two weeks ago I did some 2006 Aubergines, loads od chillies, a few peppers and some cukes, loads of tomatoes all between 2004 and 2006 and I have good germination on all of them

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:28:46 »
Gerbera a good trick with old seed to see  ( or any seed  )to see if its viable still is to shake the packet to mix the seed up and then to sow a pinch on damp kitchen roll  that you ll know a rough percentage  that ;ll grow

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 08:46:03 »
I had someone offer me a pot of 20 yr old lavatera seeds yesterday  ???

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 08:52:25 »
I had someone offer me a pot of 20 yr old lavatera seeds yesterday  ???
Huh..somebody is optimistic.. :-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:49:02 »
Friends on another site, several of them just got 20 odd year old tomato seeds to germinate Theysoaked them for an hour or so in half strength Miracle Grow mix

XX Jeannine.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:41:35 »
Still sowing my 1995 tomato Marmande - 3 out of 5 up so far!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal