Author Topic: Creeping - dwarf comfrey - is it too invasive  (Read 4553 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Creeping - dwarf comfrey - is it too invasive
« on: March 20, 2012, 18:46:54 »
Hi All - I was given some root cuttings of Creeping Dwarf Comfrey (Symphytum grandiflorum) and it has really taken well in its pots. See photo.. I need to know if this is the real macoy comfrey for using to make "tea" and composting with.

I also have some Bocking 14 (I assume as it had purple flowers when I dug it up) and it has longer wider big leaves.. I know this is the real stuff but was wondering about the other. It was given to me by an avid gardener who has had a garden share for years and seems to know his stuff. I dont want to plant out the wrong type and get smothered by it.

All the above are currently in pots waiting to be planted out when the area has been dug and is ready..

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Creeping - dwarf comfrey - is it too invasive
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 20:32:36 »
The variegated form of Comfrey isn't invasive..  :-\

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 16:04:23 »
I did not think that the dwarf variety was right for making compost.  Something is missing.  Sorry cannot remember what it is.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 20:17:22 »
It all makes compost, though I'd rather have something rampant, which makes lots of it. None of them spread on my plot.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 20:28:37 »
I found an article somewhere on the tinternet saying it was low on Potassium so no good for "Comfrey Tea" - i assume still good for composting ..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Bing

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 17:23:45 »
so what veriaty of comfrey is used for conpost/fertiliser?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 19:48:00 »
The usual recommending comfrey is refered to as Bocking 14 which is sterile so does not seed all over the place.  I think it is a cultivar of Russian Comfrey symphytum × uplandicum.  The is also English Comfrey  (Symphytum officinale ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 19:55:27 »
You can also use 'Russian Comfrey' (Symphytum × uplandicum) - the type that seeds but you need to cut it before it sets seed.   I have Russian Comfrey and Bocking 14 selection and find 'Russian Comfrey' is more vigorous than the Bocking 14.  I get four or five cuttings of this a year, the first couple of cuttings I use to make a liquid fertilizer, then the next cuttings go into the compost bins.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal