Author Topic: Plan of your plot in MS Word  (Read 7083 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Plan of your plot in MS Word
« on: February 19, 2005, 14:28:32 »
I don't know how many times I've sat down with paper, pencil and ruler drawing my plot to scale ( well, close to scale ). Had a mind blowing bout of common sense just now. Went into MS Word, opened up 'view' then 'taskbars' then 'drawing'. Clicked on the rectangle option and drew all my 'plot lots' near enough to scale simply putting rectangles inside rectangles. I numbered the seperate plots using Word and as I plant something I just write it in.
Best part is, once you have a basic layout on file, you can print out as many copies as you want. Great for planning and as a record of crop rotation.
Boom Boom

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Plan of your plot in MS Word
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 15:41:23 »
Ooh you clever dick  ;D    I'll have a go at that.  Mine will be dead easy as I only have one bed at the mo.  Mind you I expect that I will have forgotten by this time next year what was in it!   ;)

I had thought of making a photo record of what I'd planted where cos I can't draw for nuts.  But doing the plan in Word sounds a doddle.

Ta

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 10:58:34 »

Plan of my plot for this year.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 11:24:24 by kenkew »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 13:16:17 »
 8) That is cool Ken  8) Might try my hand at it too, many thanks ;)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 16:48:44 »
i am using excel for the same kind of excercise ;)
as is moggle, i believe
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 19:03:55 »
and me with Excel though no where near as detailed as moggle's!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 19:46:23 »
I still can't open Moggles :-[ :-\ :'( :(

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 09:36:02 »
I had my daughter measure the whole allotment on Saturday, then she knocked in wooden pegs at metre intervals around the perimeter for reference purposes.

I then used Excel to make a plan, setting up square cells and using autoshapes to draw rectangles for the individual beds (and circles to show location of water butts etc)

Needless to say, I have altered my plan several times already...
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 09:39:08 »
Yep, I have used excel, and tried to make it sort-of to scale and made cells square, and made one square=10cm on the plot.

Roy, I can always try to scan it and email it that way  :D

Wivvles, the wooden pegs idea is a great one!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 10:25:48 »
Roy, I can always try to scan it and email it that way  :D

Yes ok if you don't mind Megan 8) ;)

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 14:38:42 »
you all sound sooo clever!
i tried using excel but it looked scary so i just had to use pen and paper in the end!
Jemma xxx

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 15:23:07 »
Plan!  I keep thinking what a great idea, and then I buy another packet of seeds or get given some more unusual beans to try, and say, to hell with a plan.  Maybe next year.  :-\

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 15:52:21 »
I've just printed off some graph paper and drawn up a plan (well stole it off the the Organic Gardening book) ::) and drawn it to scale and discovered I could at a pinch get three of these rotating patches, I'm still tempted to give it a go but feel I may finish up saying like Emma...to hell with it maybe next year ;D ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 16:01:37 »
Jemma, I spend all day in front of a PC and a lot of most evenings, and usually have to be surgically detatched from it  :D I don't write anything down unless I HAVE to  ;D

EJ I am a mad advance planner, and it was something to do when I was ultra-keen and couldn't be digging or sowing.

Roy, I like the look of your plan, looks like it has plenty of room for the important permanent things like Raspberries, and Strawberries, and Asparagus  ;D (Permanent stuff goes in the middle?)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 16:18:33 »
I have done a similar thing in Excel. My garden veg plotis made up of identical sized raised beds so I just outlined the appropriate number of cells to give me a plan of the beds.

I have used this to plan my crop rotationbased on past plantings in the beds.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 17:35:10 »
moggle, i am the exact same :D
hence the excel spreadsheet and the incessant planning - though i am flexible enough if something doesnt go to plan - we will revert to plan B,C,D etc then ;)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 04:45:00 »
I "borrowed" my dad & got him to help me measure my plot so I could then draw up a plan.

I've used MS excel. I would post it but still haven't got to grips with posting attachments.

Basically my beds will be 12 foot long & 4 foot wide, with three foot paths between.   There'll be 24 beds but only 8 in use at any time, one lot of eight will be resting & the final lot of 8 will be undergoing improvement (adding organic matter, green manure etc).

What I found when I started knocking in corner posts for my beds is that the whole plot quickly became a lot more managable in my head.   

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 12:20:05 »
moggle, i am the exact same :D
hence the excel spreadsheet and the incessant planning - though i am flexible enough if something doesnt go to plan - we will revert to plan B,C,D etc then ;)

svea

Tell me about it!  Spent ages filling out the plan for this year - in the certain knowledge it will NOT work out like that!  ::)

In fact the original plan has already been revised a few times and in the light of the current 'late winter' may need revising again!

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 18:59:56 »
please can someone help, I have windows xp home version and I went into microsoft works and then word but I couldn't see taskbar, obviously I am doing it wrong bu I am not really computer literate. I would love to plan my plot on the pc but don't know where to start. Is there anyone out there prepared to give very simple ( ie idiot's style) instuctions, please....

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 21:56:25 »
You could use microsoft word and then make a table (with the tables facility) where each box of the table would represent a bed.  Or you could use an Excel spreadsheet grid to help you.  You don't even have to have a plan at all, let alone on the computer.  Mine's on the back of a f*g packet  ;D

Ooh this forum is very picky - it won't let me type the word f*g.  I shall have to write cigarette  ;)
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal