Author Topic: Taking tea bags abroad (international)  (Read 13162 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Taking tea bags abroad (international)
« on: March 17, 2012, 13:22:04 »
Total waste of a new thread I know but we're flying to Canada at the end of June and would really like to take our own tea bags - lolol, I know how lame that sounds! Last time we went I remember the tea bags over there were just so weak that we used two for every cup we made and was thinking we'd like to take our own PG Strong.  I know people who've done this within Europe but can we do that flying internationally? I don't want to get hauled over the coals for breaking the rules! Spose we could always track down a supermarket and find some stronguns but I don't really want to, LOL! ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Taking tea bags abroad (international)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 14:01:57 »
Sorry, I don't know about USA but after importing boxes and boxes to Germany, where my daughter misses "English" tea, I realised there is in fact a limit on how many you are allowed to take there, which I had broken, but no-one noticed. I can't remember what it is.....

Can't you just stuff them deep into your suitcase?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 15:14:15 »
  Samantha, ask Jeannine she will know. ;D

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 15:17:50 »
You should have a card on the aircraft, asking you if you are importing edible goods, this will include tea, anything you drink, dried or now, if your unsure, when you get to C&E tell them what you have (at least avoiding a fine)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 15:18:21 »
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/imports/airs/eng/1300127512994/1300127627409#

You can check by answering a whole bunch of questions on the above Canadian Govt link.

It looks as though up to 3kg of black tea can be imported for personal use or as a gift, but you must mention it to customs.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 20:40:41 »
Sam, I think it depends on the type you buy here,If you eat in restaraunts they usually use cheapie ones ir the better ones use Red Rose but they have orange pekoe added which we didn't use in the UK.

If you buy Tetleys here I think you will be OK, I like strong tea and find they are strong enough for me. Tetleys are available anywhere.

Yorkshire tea is available in some shops.

If it was me bringing them in, I would put them in my main luggage and forget about it but I will find out for you if they are legal and get back to you, I will phone customs, I know I can bring them from The uSA so don't see a problem.

I will get back to you as soon as I can.

XX Jeannine

Well that was quick, the answer was "yes, no problem, I love English tea too and don't blame them for wanting to bring it with them,there are no restrictions"

So there you go, that was a officer at Canada Food Importation Info line.

Sam I would bring it in an unopened box so they can see it clearly and declare it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 20:48:42 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 20:51:21 »
Heck I lugged 240 Yorkshire tea bags to Canada last year.  The form I filled in at customs just asked if I was/was not carrying illicit drugs, firearms and meat nothing about choccies, teabags and all the biccies I was carrying.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 20:57:56 »
I have carried some very funny things into Canada over the years, I think the I gallon jar of pickles whelks raised the mosy eyebrows but they let them through.

I shop in the US for groceries and there is very little we can't bring in, some is restricted as to amount and fruit that is grown in BC like cherries is restricted. I do bring meat in all the time which is legal but if course there may be different rules from Europe.

In m y younger days I was very good at hiding plant cuttings, in my cleavage..but nowadya they are very thorough.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 21:18:50 »
It's terrible going to Australia. I spent a few days in Bangkok, meeting the parents of my future daughter-in-law, then went on to Australia with various leftovers that I could not bear to throw away. A piece of ginger root, half a lime, a jasmine necklace I wanted to give to my Tasmanian step-daughter.......I was pulled out of the immigration line and mercilessly harangued and threatened with huge fines if I ever came in again with such things, and they noted my passport number.

I am never going to go to Australia again, of course, and I do understand that they want to protect themselves against alien imports, just as we will not accept rabies. But I was quite upset.....

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 21:25:51 »
Australia is one of the worst for plant material, byt they shouldn't have been mean to you. I swap stuff  with soemone there and it is hard.

XX Jeannine

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:06:36 »
I forgot to mention the main problem when arriving in Australia - that they X ray hold luggage with some machine that detects plant material. It must be very clever indeed to spot the tiny remains I had bundled up with my clothes. And yes, they were really mean.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 16:51:09 »
SamLouise,
If it's any help, we travel to the US every year and take in Marmite/Cadburys choc/Yorkshire tea for our son & family.
We also take green tea for ourselves.
Always declare it on the form they give you & haven't had any problems yet.
 8)
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 19:05:51 »
Regs are very very tight in Aus.  My eldest even had to ditch wicker plant pot holders and tons of other plant related stuff before she could emigrate there.  I always over compensate and tell them everything,  believe me its just not worth it.  My other half even declares that we live surrounded by farmland and our shoes may have soil on them (though I think hes being sarcastic)  They always check them though  ::)
   The lengths we Brits will go to for a decent cuppa!! 
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 19:13:07 »
Every time I returned to Singapore I would carry in my luggage loads of PG Tips and Cumberland sausages in vacum packs, ready sealed by the butcher so that I could place them in the freezer when I got home !!!!
Bring back Spotty Dog........

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 19:59:14 »
Thanks very much for the replies, I feel much more comfortable now shoving them in my suitcase! The form to declare them on - is that the form given out on the plane? (sorry to sound thick but I've only flown once!)

Jeannine, thank you for having it confirmed for me :)

Artichoke, I've watched some of those programmes on tv showing Australian customs and they do look pretty scary people. Shame they have to be so mean :( 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 21:33:21 »
If you are worried about anything else, let me know and I will phone for you again.

XX Jeannine

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 23:30:22 »
Yep carried tea with me to and from NZ, OZ, Singapore, Main land China and Canada :)

Not a Problem

If you are worried however pop the tea near the top of the case and just ask one of the friendly people at customs before you go though any of the channels and if there is space pop it on your immigration form.

Only tip i would give you would be to get the tea thats in the FOIL bags and to pack them into zip lock bags it keeps them fresh and if your travelling around then you can use the zip lock bag to store them in.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 07:13:17 »
..."pretty scary people"...

Yes, and when I flew on to Tasmania without a scrap of plant material left, I was the one that a sniffer dog leapt up at in Hobart customs......I had to admire the neat way it pulled its leash across the passageway to stop me going any further, but I did feel slightly victimised. Why me? The officials agreed I had nothing on me, and that the dog probably smelled an apple (Australian!) that I had recently eaten.

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 07:28:57 »
We have no problems when we go across the border into Yorkshire. (There again it is Yorkshire tea)
Even when we get adventurous and go to exotic  locations -( down south)  we've never had any problems.
We keep it in a special "Yorkshire Tea" caddy.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 11:19:15 »
SamLouise,
Yes the declaration card is issued on the plane. Also make a note of the value of any items in dollars.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal