Author Topic: Does your pet have odd (eating) habits?  (Read 6155 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Does your pet have odd (eating) habits?
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:52:37 »
I've had our Amber (terrier) for a year now and although she's been bundles of fun, she is hard work when it comes to feeding times.. ::) We think she wasn't properly fed by first owner so she is learned some 'funny' habits that I've had quite a job to get resolved.
She has now 2 different types of tin foods that is readily willing to eat providing that it is served in small plate...bowls are no no (after all she is girl and deep bowl makes her face dirty when eating ;D) Too much food won't do neither.. ::) But if I 'accidentally' drop something and pretending not to notice it..she will soon hoover it off.. ::)
Sometimes I have to poke some 'treats' like pieces of bread or meat into her dog food to get her to eat.
It is good indicator what she was used to eat by her previous owner when fish, chips, biscuits and bread are gobbled up and eagerly taken if allowed.. ::)
But she is learning bless her..if I eat something first she is willing to try almost anything..raw carrots, squash, apple and sugar snap peas are already in her 'treats list'.. ;D
I used to have a dog who hated peas...he would find even a single pea in his food and spit it on floor on side of the bowl..I soon learned not to buy or add any peas in his diet..cleaning the mess was hard work.. ::)

CambourneSandra

• Quarter Acre
  • Cambourne, Cambridgeshire
Re: Does your pet have odd (eating) habits?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:56:03 »
my dog is a german shepherd x border collie, called Jack. He has his bowls on a stand.

He insists on picking his dry food up in his mouth, then drops it on the floor and then proceeds to eat it bit by bit. Dinner time take a while.  ::)

And he insists on drinking his water from the cat bowl instead of his own  ::)

(i blame it on his brain damage, he is epileptic and had a severe fit when he was young which left him with some degree of brain damage)

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:20:14 »

My Birman cat Gracie ,is the worlds most fussy eater, just a couple of mouthfulls and she leaves the rest ,she has to have fresh food every time ,no leaving it in the bowl to be finished up next time oh no. also she ilikes to a little fresh cream, not in a bowl. she has to have the cream off your finger, oh yes. she is twenty one years old, at the end of this month  and she is a proper aristocat. and spoilt.
   Lol June.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:57:50 »
goodlife, cats are fussy too! Our old cat, RIP to her, she would only eat a certain brand and was very fussy, wouldn't eat lots of cat like things (like fish!) but went mad for prawns and canned tuna.  Current cat is a pig! She eats anything and if she hears me sharpening a knife she thinks I am cutting meat so comes and miaows!!! She loves a raw meat taster if I drop a bit on the floor.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:07:38 »
My dogs like a little sprinkling of Parmesan on theirs.  :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:40:45 »
My cat eats mushrooms and loves a bit of bread - he was quite taken with my brioche crust...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:46:33 »
Code: [Select]
goodlife, cats are fussy too!  ;D yes..I had one of those years ago. He would not eat same cat food twice in a row.. ::) Nor would she touch any of her own 'left overs'. He was always after what we were eating and PRAWN...you could not give enough those, but that was Christmas and Birthday treat only and he was allowed then BIG bowl full of them.. ;D
Brandy...our previous terrier would not eat dog biscuits..not in any form. Untill later on when she was old and not being well made her ravenously hungry all the time..then she would have them if soaked in warm water first. Chewing itself wasn't problem, she just wouldn't eat dry bickies.
She wasn't playfull dog neither..just looked at us like "do you think I'm stupid" fashion.. ;D..where as Amber can't have too many toys..anything and everything is game.

Parmesan...Hmm..quite smelly stuff. Amber likes cheese..I shall try sprinkling little parmesan on surface of food..Thanks! ;) Oh..and Amber don't eat dog food that is in jelly or gravy.. ::)..loaf only. But if I pour little our gravy or meat juices.. no problems then.. ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 13:19:51 »
My cat eats mushrooms  :o Crikey..never heard that before. Where I used to work they had cat who always came to share my lunch sandwiches with me.. ;D 'Tea bag' used to gobble the bread and the filling all no matter what I had. ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 13:33:55 »
Bess my "Terrier from hell" would never touch mushrooms or pasta, but she loved peas- even frozen.

A dog I know will just ignore her own food, but if it is put out with the bird food  :D  on the coal bunker she will eat it!

Ru1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 13:55:37 »
My cats have really weird tastes.

They love: baked beans, tinned plum tomatoes, curry and tikka.  They also love potatoes and naan bread.  I've never had cats before that liked spicy food.

Also, one of my cats (Gizmo)  will not eat canned cat food, but loves canned dog food and chub rolls.

I have no idea why they love the above foods, but the vet has said that it must do them some good as their coats are soft and silky, and they are in perfect health.

I know my cats sound strange, but I wouldn't change them for the world  :) :)

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 08:22:58 »
my cats have some strange tastes. Their favorite treat is donner meat dipped in chili sauce. If my husband brings a kebab in they sit and drool over him. Their other favourite is pickled onion crisps

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:20 »
John's favourite cat ,a chinchilla would not put her face in a feedbowl. she ate from a fork held by  John of course ,he babied her and  she always ate like this.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 08:46:59 »
We had a dog that adored oranges and gooseberries.If ever he found any chewing gum he would chew it then hold it in his paws and stretch it with his teeth
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:02 »
We had a dog that adored oranges and gooseberries.If ever he found any chewing gum he would chew it then hold it in his paws and stretch it with his teeth

;D..thats funny.. ;D

Well..I suppose I could add update to my first post to this thread.
Amber has suddenly grown up...she has stopped all her never ending playing games and toys all over the place 'business'..and all of the sudden food is very interesting subject. So now I'm having to keep eye on what she eats..and the issue from what she eats..bowl ore plate doesn't exist neither.. ::)
So now the 'original' owner's comment...''she is terrier, she eats anything'' has come true. Only 'odd' thing she still has...I have to announce "din din/ breakkie is served!''... ;D to come and clear the plate..unless she is really hungry..then she will TELL me it is about time to have something. ;D

Ohh...pets..they are such a fun to have around.. ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 12:34:43 »
Our daughter has a cat that wipes her feet before eating. I was there last week & heard a strange noise. It was Lunar wiping her feet up a cupboard after using the litter tray ::) ;D. They have a rescue cat (as in family moved to Scotland & left him behind) who was a street cat for almost a year & he prefers to go in & out through an open window & if he has dried food he spits out the bits he doesn't like in a heap.

Goodlife, I bet you miss all that playing with Amber ;D ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 12:50:59 »
Goodlife, I bet you miss all that playing with Amber  ;D ;D ;D
Hmm..I'm not sure if I do or not.. ::) House is so quiet and relaxed now when I don't get the non-stop invitations as poking toys in my lap all the time...she still knows how to be a 'monkey' in otherways though.. ;D

Lady (our next doors cat) still come around regurlarly...and not always to get my attention but she knows she can get our 'monkey' going and jumping like a yo-yo when trying to catch the cat.
Usually they both, cat and dog need telling off.. ;D Lady does it purposely..and many times I've seen her winding up our 'brainless when seing cat'..she thinks I don't see her doing it..but looks very quilty when I ask 'what do you think you doing'. There is no mistaken who is the clever one out of the pair.. ::) ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal