Author Topic: Yet another Tomato question.  (Read 5933 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Yet another Tomato question.
« on: February 19, 2005, 11:32:13 »
Was just planting some sweetpeas in Root-trainer' pots.(Thank you Eric) and had a thought.  Would tomatoes benefit from growing in them ??? I know that tomatoes have adventitious(sp) roots so if I planted one low down in a root trainer pot would the plant now grow a better root system, as it grew up and I put in more compost.

ooooo wrong forum... sorry dan. ::)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

john_miller

• Hectare
Re: Yet another Tomato question.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 11:46:16 »
Yes.
Wrong forum? You have your tomatoes outside already?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 11:49:56 »
Why wrong - they start under glass?

Trainers? Don't know, but don't believe that you would gain anything - for the extra hassle?

PS Just seen John's comment - so I'm wrong again!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 11:51:34 by tim »

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 12:42:22 »
No, Tim, not wrong again. I made a very simple answer to the question (got to cut down on my essays!) but didn't add my other thoughts, which are the same as yours. Ina may take a contrary view though.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 12:50:57 »
No John of course they are not outside yet, my tomato seeds have only just gone into trays.  I was just pondering, as I did say in my original  posting, while I was planting some sweetpeas.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 16:33:32 »
I hope I didn't offend Mimi. I just think it is sad that you even have to apologise in advance in case someone (and I don't mean Dan, or anyone else in particular) takes you to task for posting in the 'wrong' forum.

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 16:45:17 »
Hi Mimi, I start my toms off in trainers. Then when I pot them on I plant them a good few cms deeper and the new roots they grow anchor them nicely. They aren't in the trainer long enough to really make it worthwhile topping them up, although if the compost level drop as they are watered I do top up the compost.
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 18:36:48 »
Not at all John. ;)
Many thanks Shug.  Was just my brain cell chugging away and wondering.  I have also noticed that if a tomato plant is bent it well produce roots at the bend too.Eeeeeeeeeee its wonderfull all this growing stuff.  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 08:21:09 »
My reasoning - for what it's worth - was thus:

The 'norm' is to sow in plugs or trays, & pot on into 4" pots, up to their necks, at  the first true leaf stage.
Assuming you are using 5" root trainers, your roots are far too long to go into a 4" (3 1/2" deep) pot, but are nowhere near the planting out stage. And root trainers have precious little compost in which to grow on beyond the seedling stage.
Trainers also have the great disadvantage that they cannot be kept moist on  capillary matting, as can everything else.
For s/peas, s/corn etc - fine, because the plantlet goes straight out from the trainer, but I still see nothing to be gained with toms.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 14:14:49 »
Thanks for the tomato info Tim , i shall use that .

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 18:43:17 »
Started off my tomatoes in trays, however they are behind/in front of (depending on perspective) glass ::)
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal