Author Topic: NOT STARTED YET!!!!!  (Read 7302 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: NOT STARTED YET!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2005, 04:25:56 »
Nice to know I can stop panicking.

Here we are in the middle of march & still can't get anything done on the plot.

Have now decided to take things easy up until easter then hopefully it's full steam ahead.

I've also managed to acquire some wooden pallets from work which will soon be recycled into bed edging.   Have also put out several feelers to acquire more pallets for rest of the beds.

Thank you everybody for the feedback

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2005, 09:00:25 »
Making a start indoors will give a bit of a head start. There's lots of seeds to sow, it's just that there's no point in putting either seed or plants into wet, cold ground. They'll just sit there doing nothing or rot. I reckon there'll be a fair change in the weather after the weekend.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2005, 22:01:31 »
Making a start indoors will give a bit of a head start. There's lots of seeds to sow, it's just that there's no point in putting either seed or plants into wet, cold ground. They'll just sit there doing nothing or rot. I reckon there'll be a fair change in the weather after the weekend.

Yes it's going to be colder, north winds doth blow :o back to winter I'm afraid, ::) for a short while. ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2005, 23:31:44 »
Some of you may recall i've recently got myself a greenhouse, having previously grown stuff in an old lean-to out building with a clear roof.

With this recent cold weather though I have had trouble getting the GH warm enough to start sowing seed, which I now this week finaly have done so.

I feel a bit as if I have taken one step forward and two steps back by getting a greenhouse. I used to get quite good results with the old setup, and found growing stuff easy. Now i seem to be struggling, with no electric, less space, and no heat bar a small parrafin heater which on the coldest nights barely keeps things frost free.

I know its early days and i am sure I will get there in the end, but i almost wish to turn the clock back and return to the old setup. However this is impossible since the old lean-to is now no more and being replaced by a new kitchen extension!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2005, 23:41:14 »
Once you get into the swing of things Richard, you will wonder how on earth you lived without it! 

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2005, 08:48:03 »
I don't try to heat mine Richard, I just couldn't be running back n forth to the greenhouse with parrafin, and laying in bed at night wondering if it was going to run out or not!
I do the bubble wrap and thats it! I was amazed to see the other day it had gotten so warm in there the vent had opened! :o
DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2005, 12:19:06 »
I don't try to heat mine Richard, I just couldn't be running back n forth to the greenhouse with parrafin, and laying in bed at night wondering if it was going to run out or not!
I do the bubble wrap and thats it! I was amazed to see the other day it had gotten so warm in there the vent had opened! :o
DP

Oh yes mine can get very warm on a sunny day even in winter, with or without the heater on.  Its just night time that can be a problem, particularly when there seems to be a local shortage of parrafin! All the places in my town that sell it seem to have sold out!

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2005, 20:14:34 »
Doris

You mentioned the vent opening...I took the tubes out of my automatic vents at the end of last season as I was told that they can freeze and break.
Still waiting for the severe frosts to cease so I can replace them.

Is this right or have I been told another old wives tale?

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2005, 08:03:09 »
Not a tale. Good advice. If your window sticks or gets iced-up then the auto opener can't open it but if the temperature rises it's going to do what it does and try to push the arm forward. The window is usually the thing that suffers.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2005, 21:30:10 »
Hmm thats interesting about the vents. I have an auto vent. I have a feeling i have messed it up. Even on the lowest seting (i think), it will only open when the temperature gets really high (as in 25 -30c!). Not sure If i have permanently b*****ed it up or if it will eventualy right itself. havent quite got the hang of the thing yet.  :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal