Author Topic: Round up question  (Read 1520 times)

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
Round up question
« on: March 15, 2012, 18:37:07 »
Hi all, i have sprayed a section of my plot using roundup and just wondered if any body has used it before and there results?
Also how long does it take to start seeing weeds die off?
Thanks

pumkinlover

Re: Round up question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 18:39:45 »
Takes a week or so, remember to use when weeds in growth.
As it is warm it should be ok but at this tiime of year often they would not be  growing.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 18:45:55 »
What kind of weed growth?  Light covering of annual weeds or serious infestation of perenials?  Couch and bindweed can be difficult, and marestail impossible.  Like pumpkinlover said, it's maybe a tad early to be really effective - it'll kill of the foliage but it might not get taken down to the roots unless the plant is growing strongly.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 20:48:43 »
What kind of weed growth?  Light covering of annual weeds or serious infestation of perenials?  Couch and bindweed can be difficult, and marestail impossible.  Like pumpkinlover said, it's maybe a tad early to be really effective - it'll kill of the foliage but it might not get taken down to the roots unless the plant is growing strongly.

Well i have just taken plot on so its a good mixture of all weeds. Are you saying i have been a little excited and sprayed to early or will it still have an effect Thanks

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 21:13:22 »
In two weeks time it'll be brown allright, but I'd expect some grow-back, but no realy worry.  It will certainly buy you some useful time to dig the plot through without it getting swamped with weeds.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 19:06:33 »
It won't be that effective this early, as other people have said. It'll kill annual weeds and grasses, but the tougher stuff will survive. You need to get cracking once it dies back, and either dig it or put down black plastic. I've seen plots which were sprayed and then left several times; the perennial weeds pull through, and without the competition, they flourish as never before. The last state of those plots was worse than the first.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal