Author Topic: Hosepipe Ban  (Read 4153 times)

Chrispy

• Hectare
Hosepipe Ban
« on: March 14, 2012, 15:15:40 »
Well it's official, Thames water has issued a hosepipe ban staring 5th April.

I'm not too bothered, I don't use the hose much and it should keep the water bill down.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
Re: Hosepipe Ban
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 16:32:58 »
Apparently your aloud to fill your waterbut up with a hose (Thames Water that is) and then use containers, i was reading an email about it

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 17:04:58 »
doesnt  bother me,wouldnt dream of ever using one!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 17:08:38 »
Apparently your aloud to fill your waterbut up with a hose (Thames Water that is) and then use containers, i was reading an email about it
Well that will be OK then, as that is what I mainly use my hose for.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 19:28:20 »
I'd be interested to know if that is true.  The notice is quite specific and has very few exceptions..

It says the following are banned

watering a ‘garden’ using a hosepipe; (garden includes allotments)

drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use; (is an allotment domestic??)

While it doesn't say specifically that you can't fill a waterbut it also is not mentioned in the exception list.

Anyone got a definitive answer??

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 19:35:16 »
Thames Water
Customer Relations
Customer Services
P.O. Box 436
Swindon
SN38 1TU

Telephone: 08457 200897
Fax: 01793 424291
E-mail: Customer.Feedback@thameswater.co.uk

10 May 2006
Our Ref: 320428
Hosepipe Ban and Allotments
Dear Mr *******
Thank you for your e-mail of 27 April 2006.
I am sorry to hear that there are those who find the conditions of the ban confusing, I hope to help clarify your concerns in my reply. ;Your comments regarding our website will forwarded to our Communications Team for their consideration.
The hosepipe ban does not refer to 'Domestic Properties' it refers to private gardens and private vehicles, we take the term private to mean, a property to which the public do not have access to.
We accept that allotments are not directly referred to in the ban. However, allotments are, in our view, private and hence are included in the hosepipe ban therefore, allotment holders are subject to the same watering restrictions as apply to private gardens, and hosepipes and sprinklers may not be used for watering as access to the general public is not permitted.
We do recognise that there is a range of interpretations across both other water companies and other stakeholders. We also recognise that the law is not specific, but we are of the view that saving water is the primary goal and allotment holders will be generally understanding of this.
Further to your question regarding the filling of containers with a short length of hose, there is no legal definition of a short length of hose. I accept that using a length of hose to fill a water butt by an allotment, will result in less water being used than filling several buckets due to spillages as the water is carried to and from the allotment.
Therefore, I can confirm that it is permissible to use a length of hose to fill a water butt / container by an allotment. However, it is not permitted to use this hose to water the allotment. We would also encourage the fitting of trigger devices to hosepipes that would stop the flow water when the hose is released, so that water is not wasted when the allotment holder walks back to the tap.
The hosepipe ban was introduced using powers found in Section 76 of The Water Industry Act 1991.
The following is a link that will take you to the relevant Government website.
Water Industry Act 1991
We have no objection you including a link on your website to our 'Drought Page' on our website.
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
Yours sincerely
Gareth Drinkwater
Customer Relations

Dopey

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 19:38:36 »
We accept that allotments are not directly referred to in the ban. However, allotments are, in our view, private and hence are included in the hosepipe ban therefore

Thats there interpretation of the law, and not the law, so you can, its on council land and not open to the public, in my opinion you can use them (public parks and recreation)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 20:23:58 »
Sorry I am not sure what you are saying here.
The law refers to "Private Gardens" - Surely allotments are private spaces and assuredly garden like!  So the ban applies as it does to my own garden.
It may be their interpretation of the law but I expect it is backed up by somne expensive layers!

The point about filling waterbuts seems validated by the email, but being of a skeptical nature I am not convinced.  It is 6 years old and could have been written by anyone.

Im not trying to be funny but we have our AGM soon and we have to advice members to put away the hoses so I'd like to get my facts straight..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 21:21:44 »
Thames Water
Customer Relations
Yours sincerely
Gareth Drinkwater

That explains the shortage then  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 21:59:09 »
Sorry to go off topic, but is the Thames Water CR chap really called Gavin Drinkwater??  ;D ;D ;D

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 16:27:20 »
What an apt name  :)  maybe he reports to Messrs Leak and Flood.  I once worked in a company where the head of Planning was Mr Muddle.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal