Author Topic: Magpies ans Lawns?  (Read 7594 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Magpies ans Lawns?
« on: March 10, 2012, 17:06:59 »
My Mums lawn is covered with pulled up bits of moss/grass. We know the culprits are a pair of Magpies, we see them there all the time, pecking and throwing bits of grass or moss about. They are very vigorous about it and they never seem to take away the fruits of their labours, I thought it might be nest-building material, but it seems not.

Any ideas please?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Magpies ans Lawns?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 17:21:54 »
Actually the usual culprits for the actual lawn damage is done by chafer beetle grubs that feast with grass roots. Magpies have spotted the grubs and pull up the now almost rootless turf to get the 'yummy' treats that are lurking in the top soil.
So..so those grubs that magpies don't catch, they will appear end of may- begining of June as adult flying beetles and start their life cycle again by mating and laying the eggs into grass roots... ::)
As a 'good' news..magpies are doing great job by reducing the grub population..and providing plenty of material for lining hanging baskets.. ::)

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 17:35:30 »
And scarifying the lawn!?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 18:40:10 »
 ;D..yes..you could say the magpies are scarifying it.. ::)..but what you normally see happening is more like total removal of the top layers.. ::)

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 18:46:48 »
A tad over enthusiastic then!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 20:03:00 »
They probably need to be to get the grubs out.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 20:05:58 »
We don't have magpies but the crows do it here and it is definately the grubs they are after.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal