Author Topic: Anyone to Share their Sourdough Starter with me please?  (Read 31066 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Anyone to Share their Sourdough Starter with me please?
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2012, 20:05:30 »
If it is twice the size then go for it but it wont be an early night!
I do have problems timing my sourdough.  I want bread for Saturday morning so I have to do it Friday.  This means mixing and kneeding pre work but I can work longish hours so when I get in it has normally gone mad or even collapsed.  Then I have to wait around for another 4 hours to prove before baking. 

That is if I dont have a beer too many and forget what I was doing...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2012, 21:01:32 »
I use my bread machine to do the kneeling and then move to baking tin :) for final rise before baking

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2012, 22:00:47 »
I decided to leave it til tomo! dont know if I am doing the right thing or not, but am off to bed in a mo and get up early. So am hoping its going to be ok there left for 24 hrs.
Its now 3 times the size it was..

I have really been enjoying this thread, a good learning curve. Thanks all

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2012, 09:43:05 »
Thank you everyone for comments wrt breadmaker recipes with a starter. :) 

Btw, the English muffins came out well (see the link earlier)  - one friendship cake starter batch makes two quantities of the recipe.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2012, 09:30:12 »
well herman is fed and tripled in size !!

Husbands a little confused by all this but willing to give the cake and bread a go before making a judgement.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2012, 10:14:37 »
Ah..it happens all of us.. ;) I've started from scratch several times now... :-X
But now that I've got active starter again..I can share some of it with you.

oh thanks!!! are you sure. it's a bit of a faff to send thru' the post. whereabouts are you in Notts? (don't have a car, btw..)

i'd appreciate it if you can.. but i don't mind starting all over again for the umpteenth time.. really.. i can persevere...

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2012, 09:49:10 »
I have fallen into a very happy routine with this sourdough starter, known as the Bread Monster since it first erupted out of its jug (jug now kept in a bowl in case). I actually think it is easier than when I used to buy yeast. The wild yeast seems to be more energetic and active.

It is very easy to feed the Monster first thing in the morning; easy to tip it into a large bowl of flour and salt when it has reached the top of the jug; I have been using two big round non-stick cake tins with removable sides, and after kneading the dough, I half fill both of them and they sit around peacefully swelling under a damp cloth until I think they are large enough to cook.

The dough is incredibly tolerant, as Goodlife says. If you are out all day or too busy, it just sits there waiting for you.

I cover the base of the tins with sesame seed to make sure the cooked loaves slide off easily, and because I like them. I carve each round loaf into two pieces for freezing (now my immense and ravenous family has gone home). The texture and flavour of every loaf I have made is just perfect and consistent.

I have sent my daughter home to Germany with a jamjar of the starter. She can't eat this bread herself because of its gluten, but her family love it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2012, 10:03:44 »
I've got bad habbit with killing my starter when stored away for a break in fridge...out of sight, out of mind.. ::) While its bubbling away on counter I'm keeping eye on it and it gets looked after.
And now that I've finally mastered its use in breadmachine , it gets regularly used too. Handbaking is luxury for me that I find chore if not in mood for it.. ::)
My good old faithful machine is so easy and I can forget it until my nose wake the brain with 'FOOD!' message.. ;D
I'm being 'lazy' this morning..even I have time for 'proper' baking..machine is on and lovely sourdough is getting good 'work out'. YUM YUM..fresh bread for lunch.. ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2012, 21:49:30 »
Hi All

Over the last nine days Goodlife has been guiding me through making my first Sour Dough Loaf. Today was baking day and I am really pleased with the result ;D Not the best shaped loaf...(I will have to work on that) but the texture is lovely.
Here are a couple of pictures...

Thank you Goodlife it was fun :D

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2012, 22:16:41 »
Duke, my last one was like that kinda shape... I put cheese and onion on the top b4 baking. Then I cut it into wedges, sliced and filled it.
Will try n post pic from my phone after...

I would like to know how to get it to rise on a flat pan, instead of spreading out?

Today I did a 50/50 loaf, in a tin. Raised in the airing cupboard for 3 hours, knocked back, raised again for 3 hours (at this point should have gone in the oven) left it for another hour (4hours) as I was cooking dinner and wanted to put it in hot with pots, It had over risen a bit... so lost the nice rounded top. Stuck to its shower cap!! and so collapsed a little! Cooked it anyway, looks like it might be ok, just flat topped loaf.
Gonna have a few trials with this til we get there I think x

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2012, 22:19:06 »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2012, 22:32:41 »
Jesslands,

I think I will bake my next one in a deep round cake tin. I have seen online someone baking theirs in a casserole pan but I can't remember where I saw it. If I find it I will send it to you.

duke :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2012, 23:00:38 »
How nice to see some photos of your breads.. ;D YUM!
I'm glad you've had such a success with it.. ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2012, 23:28:47 »
Good idea how to store some sourdough and other baking 'stuff'... http://www.danlepard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2243

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2012, 10:59:57 »
Big round deep cake tins: that's how I have cooked all mine so far; they still look round and fat, but go upwards a bit more and have a regular shape.

Lovely to see the photographs! The cheese and onion looks fantastic!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2012, 12:41:56 »
As gluten & dairy intolerant I feel like getting on to the moderators about this ;) ;D.

It all looks amazing, if only ::). Hope you all enjoy your handywork ;D.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2012, 13:35:14 »
I'm just posting picture of my 100% rye loaves to show what kind of texture the bread is. I couldn't attach any photos to my PM so I post it here to see. These are made with sourdough and cooked in tins.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2012, 15:01:46 »
Oh yes I can see the different texture. Nice looking loaves Goodlife :) Has any one used their sourdough for pizza?

Duke

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2012, 13:52:15 »
Today I made my very first Herman cake and it has turned out pretty well. (Someone I gave my sour dough starter to countered with her Herman starter!)  Following advice I used a large shallow baking tin, and it took 40 minutes more than the suggested time (45 minutes) to look properly cooked. If I had used a deeper, smaller tin I am not sure the result would have been edible.

I have read complaints that the Herman cakes are too sweet, and less sugar should be used. I followed the standard instructions exactly, this first time, and although I am not much of a cake eater and do not like very sweet things, I find this just the right balance. It is really delicious.

It was very easy to mix up the ingredients, too. I think this will become a standard family cake for visitors, if I can find a way of preserving the starter without constantly making unwanted cakes.....

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2012, 14:41:16 »
Hi there,
Wrt Herman starter:
I have divided up the starter as per the day 9 instructions and kept spares in margarine tubs in the fridge in the fridge, but find I need to give them a quick  stir from time to time as it doesn't stop , even with no other attention.
I have seen a lot of refs to freezing sourdough starter on the internet, both dry and as a liquid, and I'd be interested in what our experienced bakers do
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 14:46:06 by SueK »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal