Author Topic: How to differentiate summer and autumn raspberries  (Read 8218 times)

ohmeohmy07

• Not So New ...
How to differentiate summer and autumn raspberries
« on: March 05, 2012, 13:10:44 »
I have planted 6 plants each of some 6-7 different types of raspberries. 2 are summer fruiting, the others autumn fruiting. Unfortunately I have lost the info on which plants are of which type. So I have pruned them all back quite hard. Can I work out which ones are summer fruiting so that I do NOT prune them like the autumn fruiting ones next winter?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: How to differentiate summer and autumn raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 13:17:03 »
The summer fruiting ones won't fruit much on this year's wood, whereas the autumn fruiting ones will fruit well.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

ohmeohmy07

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 17:42:46 »
thanks - I'll keep my eyes open then!
Do you know whether the summer fruiting plants, that I've pruned back as if an autumn variety, will produce more than one berry, more than 5, more than 10 or what - just so I'm clear what to anticipate.

Of course last year was absolutely amazing: I had a boxful every 2 days from early July all the way through to end October, with some berries popping up even during November, where a 'box' is a plastic tray cleaned out after a good Chinese takeaway! it was phenomenal.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 17:48:18 »
If you cut back summer fruiters last year, you'll get very little if anything this year. Next year you'll do well.

gazzaroo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 19:56:19 »
hi guys, i just planted 4 rows of rassberrys and had some left over. so iv planed them a big tubs and made treliss for them ..iv got the in the greenhouse iam wanting to see if i get rasberrys must of year. will it work..?.this year iv growing arr green house to now 50feet long now so planing to try growing or trying to grow all kinds in doors..

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 00:44:10 »
Under normal circumstances, until last autumn, I also would have said is is easy to tell the difference between summer and autumn rasps. However last autumn my summer fruiting raspberries gave me a good crop and then in October the new canes gave me another crop in the same year. Those same canes are now looking ready to fruit a second time in the coming summer.
It may be that with several different sorts you will be able to tell them apart, good luck!

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:19:50 »
Under normal circumstances, until last autumn, I also would have said is is easy to tell the difference between summer and autumn rasps. However last autumn my summer fruiting raspberries gave me a good crop and then in October the new canes gave me another crop in the same year. Those same canes are now looking ready to fruit a second time in the coming summer.
It may be that with several different sorts you will be able to tell them apart, good luck!

That explains it!

I've always had just summer fruiting canes on  my plot. Last year I was surprised to see some autumn fruiting ones appear.

...I'm glad I read this, or I would have been madly trying to propagate them   ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 08:41:30 »
Up until now I would say that the Autumn ones are prickly but Joanj rather bucks that trend but they are now as smooth as my Summer ones.

My Glen Lyon seem to be very happy to crop twice which is getting me very confused.

The other confusion for me is that some of the Autumn started fruiting in July so it is very hard to thing of that as Autumn. 

I have been rather more careful with my labels for my next batch of canes.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:16:53 »
i've managed to get hold of 12 summer fruiting canes free last yr for the lotti and since then they have bunched up to about 5 canes each. they're currently about 5-6' tall and am wondering if i should chop the tops of them as i fear that they will all grow into a big sprawling mass. atm, they're not supported by anything (altho' i was meant to!)

ideally, i would prefer autumn ones as apparently they don't need supports. i've planted a Wilko's pack of 3 a few weeks ago (polka, malling seedling, and ?)

if anyone has spare Joan J canes, i would be happy to swap with other seedlings/seeds or pay for postage..i would be so grateful...

thanks
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal