Author Topic: Lemon pudding (for Rosebud)  (Read 1681 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Lemon pudding (for Rosebud)
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:43:57 »
I was thinking about poor rosebud and her spongey problem  ;D And I thought that maybe she might like this, it's kind of an accidental sponge ;D

Lemon pudding
50g butter or marg, softened
100g caster sugar
50g self raising flour and a pinch of bicarb
pinch salt
3 eggs, separated
2 lemons
300ml (1/2 pint) milk

Cream well the butter and sugar and the grated lemon peel.
Add the egg yolks then fold in the flour.
Now, beat the egg whites into stiff peaks.
To the flour/butter/sugar/ batter add the milk and the juice of the lemons and stir until well mixed.
Slowly fold in the egg whites until you have a kind of foamy batter, don't squish them too much.

Pour into a greased pudding basin and cook in a moderate oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden on top.
You will have a sort of custardy lemon layer on the bottom and the lightest of spongey pudding on the top. It serves 4 but I admit I could probably polish off the whole thing were it not for guilt and self-loathing.

2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Lemon pudding (for Rosebud)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:42:43 »
By coincidence I made this lemon pudding recently for visitors, and although, like Rosebud, I long ago gave up making sad cakes (with the exception of large square solid fruit cakes that cannot go wrong) it worked beautifully and is truly delicious, and I guarantee that if I can make it, anyone can...... I agree that there is something incredibly light about the sponge topping. I have made it lots of times in the past, a winner every time.

I testify that if you cook it for too long, you lose the liquid lemony sauce at the bottom, but even then it is very good indeed!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Lemon pudding (for Rosebud)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 18:44:52 »
  Thank you for that recipe i shall definitely try it  & let you know when i do. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal