Author Topic: Sowing peas  (Read 4749 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: Sowing peas
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 11:19:12 »
I make lots of small paper pots from old newspapers and sow the peas two to a pot. It uses less compost than 3" pots and allows me to plant out with regular 3" spacings.

Aden thankyou for the reminder ,I've got a potmaker and had never thought of using it to sow peas,'tho have done sweet peas  ::) :-[
I know what I'm doing this afternoon  :)
sanity is overated

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 17:29:04 »
Right, I think I will use the long cylinder approach, cut in half, stapled and open in the end. It certainly sounds that it will work, be economical on compost and easy to do.

Great thread.

Regards

Bluecar

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 00:26:54 »
I use regular size seed trays, lined with pierced black plastic just the width of the bottom of the tray with 3/4" overhang at each end (old compost bags cut up) and plant 3 rows of seeds domino fashion approx 2-3" apart. When they have a good mat of roots I clear a  trench same width and depth as the trays x the total length length of the number of trays I have, lift them out in the polythene  'cradle' and gently slide them out into the trench in a line. This way I can do 5 or six trays at regular intervals and just add to the row. After trying several methods over the years I have found this gives the best results and they don't take up too much room on the overhead shelf in the greenhouse. Providing you water them before transplanting they slide out easy enough with a firm push with the side of your hand. I tried guttering but find this method much more user friendly!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 02:51:56 »
Hello Aden.

Thank you for the tip. Roughly what diameter and height do you use (before folding/squashing)?

Do you have to join the end to the main pot by glue or sellotape although sellotape I guess doesn't rot down.

Regards

Bluecar

Instructions on the box of my "Paper Potter" (just found it!) say:
  • cut dry newspapers into strips 8cm x 57cm approx.... (that works out as 1 unfolded newspaper page across and about 6 strips per page - depends on which newspaper!!)  :)
  • roll strip loosely around "potter" and fold excess over the end.....(around about 2cm to fold over but it depends on the diameter of the cylinder you are using as a mould)... sometimes I end up with a small hole at the base - this works fine
  • press end with folded in paper onto base to mould pot
  • remove pot and fill with compost

The diameter of my "pot maker" is about 4cm (inch & a half) but you can make pots deeper by cutting the strips wider as well as varying diameter by using a larger mould such as an aerosol can.

I find there's no need to glue, stick or staple the edge/s or base as the paper stays rolled into shape.

The whole process sounds so complicated but it couldn't really be easier... once you've made a few you will be making them as you watch tv (if not in your sleep!!  ;))

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 07:22:06 »
Thanks Aden. I'll give it a go.

Regards

Bluecar

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 08:52:33 »
I would also try sowing them with a line of chilli power, mammals like mice feel the heat like us and so it might deter them.
xx Sunloving

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:14:37 »
Thanks Aden. I'll give it a go.

Regards

Bluecar

I wish you luck! It works for me but it is a lot of extra fiddling about considering the number of pea seeds needed to make a decent row.

Then, after making all the pots, filing them with compost and sowing the seeds there's the fuss of transplanting.... but you can get a perfect row!  ;)

Don't forget to net / cover them as around my way the pigeons love them!  >:(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 19:28:00 »
Well at least we don't have pigeons!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 19:56:01 »
You're welcome to mine.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 20:15:06 »
I have for the last three years used Tee Gees method of growing peas. it has worked every time for me!!
http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Peas/Peas.htm
Tee Gee the changes to your web site are excellent!!! ;)

duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 21:00:44 »
I'm sure guttering was designed for growing peas and its easily cut up into whatever length suits you. Flat-bottomed guttering is probably ideal, but mine is round, and the peas are easy to move in and out of the greenhouse to harden off. Mine will be going outside for the first time tomorrow and planted out in a week or so, weather permitting.
For succession sowing, I just replant the guttering when its emptied. I probably do that about four times and then switch to sowing direct outside. I'm not sure whether its because the peas grow faster in summer or because there is more choice for the mice, but I only see damage to the early peas, or at least I used to til I switched to starting them off in guttering.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 22:27:35 »

A loo roll sower here  :)

I use twiggy pea sticks without netting
Shushhhhhh don't tell our son 'cos they're in the boot of his car that I borrowed this week  ;D ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 22:30:13 »
Guttering is great I agree but when I started this thread I said I cannot do the guttering thing.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal