Author Topic: Home Brewers?  (Read 21422 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Home Brewers?
« on: February 24, 2012, 21:26:59 »
Are there any homebrewers on the forum?

I started brewing kits just over a year ago but switched to all grain a few months ago and have so far brewed 18 AG recipes.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Home Brewers?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 21:43:54 »
We're rather sporadic home brewers, I'm afraid.  Didn't make any at all last year, but I normally make something quaffable for the hot summer days.

You can't beat real malted grains, which aren't that much more of a faff if you've got a decent thermostat.  Difficult to do pilsner type lagers, though, unless you've got serious cooling for the conditioning stage.

One of my favourites is a simple refreshing brown ale, not too high in alcohol.  Roll on summer!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 21:48:09 »
I tend to do hoppy ales, kind of IPA's, I brewed today using a single hop for the third time on the bounce but today's was a darker beer than my normal brews.

I think I'm at a point where I enjoy being able to make good beer more than I enjoy drinking it.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 21:41:34 »
I brew country wines  and have been at it for 16yrs.
Parsnip. Runner bean, Pea pod, Blackcurrant, Redcurrant, Goosegog, Rhubarb, Blackberry and Gorse wines

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 21:28:03 »
I brew country wines  and have been at it for 16yrs.
Parsnip. Runner bean, Pea pod, Blackcurrant, Redcurrant, Goosegog, Rhubarb, Blackberry and Gorse wines

Do you ever brew from kits? they are amazing these days.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 22:05:02 »
We do beer kits (mostly the £25ish ones although right now I'm drinking Geordie with enhancer) & wine kits, as well as the lovely Orange Juice Wine (have 10gal of that in fvs at the mo!). Being able to get drunk for under £1 makes it taste even better.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 22:08:31 »
I brewed a beer the other week and because I had the hops from past brews it worked out costing me £9.00 for 40 pints you just can't go wrong.

Have you tried the St Peter's kits? they are all well worth a try.

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 19:00:27 »
HI i have just started home brewing and i have just finished brewing my 2nd lot of red wine all from kits though.
i have tried the cider kits but cannot get them right for some reason. Taste very yeasty!!! However i did have a great result from the  Youngs Best Bitter Kits @ Xmas. Please share your results and personal favourites as i am always looking to try others successes and will enjoy drinking them even more.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 19:31:00 »

I'm a winemaker mainly but I've made beer from the basics and used wild hops from the hedgerows.     Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 19:36:19 »
Closet homebrewer here!

We use the ready made beer/lager kits but would like to try a home recipe at some point.

Geordie beer kits - tha cant beat 'em!!
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 20:13:10 »
Been making cider of late, and v nice it is too...

http://www.yobrew.co.uk/cider.php

That and the wine kits, prefer the cider mind.  :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 21:19:13 »
Please share your results and personal favourites as i am always looking to try others successes and will enjoy drinking them even more.

I have moved from brewing kits to all grain. the best kits are the two can kits, look for any St Peter's kit or one of the Woodforde's kits.a Woodforde's Wherry will always go down well.

I find you always have to add juice to a cider kit I have a Youngs pear cider maturing now that I added some apple and pear juice to.

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 22:23:23 »

Please share your results and personal favourites as i am always looking to try others successes and will enjoy drinking them even more.
[/quote]

I have moved from brewing kits to all grain. the best kits are the two can kits, look for any St Peter's kit or one of the Woodforde's kits.a Woodforde's Wherry will always go down well.

How do you bottle your up or do you leave them in a pressure barrel ??

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 21:47:17 »

How do you bottle your up or do you leave them in a pressure barrel ??
[/quote]

After my brews have fermented out I transfer the beer to a secondary vassal which has a tap, I use a "little bottler" on the tap to fill to bottles.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 17:46:11 »
 I used to brew the odd pint. Is there a wine/beer club near you? Joining one is a good way of swapping ideas and recipes,and winning a few prizes?.  You mght get to taste some really good stuff-but also some terrible dross(I  know having been a judge`s assistant many times).

For my standard bitter I used to use a pressure barrel but for pale ale types and for competion obviously they were bottled.

I still have my recipe book from the early 80`s if you want to try a couple??

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 22:27:49 »
I used to brew the odd pint. Is there a wine/beer club near you? Joining one is a good way of swapping ideas and recipes,and winning a few prizes?.  You mght get to taste some really good stuff-but also some terrible dross(I  know having been a judge`s assistant many times).

For my standard bitter I used to use a pressure barrel but for pale ale types and for competion obviously they were bottled.

I still have my recipe book from the early 80`s if you want to try a couple??

I'm a member of an online brewing forum to swap ideas and recipes. I haven't entered any competitions yet but do intend to do so soon.

I used to use pressure barrels but have now swapped to bottles only because I think it gives better results.

I'd love to see your recipies.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 22:34:21 »
I am hoping to buy some 2nd hand home wine making kit from a colleague who no longer makes his own; so this is a thread i am watching closely.  Never made home plonk before so will be starting with wine making kits. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 22:52:03 »
may try making marrow rum this year just for giggles

will take caution mind,as i heard a story of woe in that a marrow exploded leaving a kitchen in need of attention  ;D

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 22:59:05 »
I am hoping to buy some 2nd hand home wine making kit from a colleague who no longer makes his own; so this is a thread i am watching closely.  Never made home plonk before so will be starting with wine making kits. 

Take a look on Ebay. its amazing how much cheap stuff comes up on there.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 08:02:07 »
This one won the `National` (Pale Ale) in 1984:

7lb Pale Malt
6oz Crystal Malt
9oz Flaked Maize
500g Muscovado Sugar
2 oz Goldings
2oz Hallertau