Author Topic: What to do about the Garlic?  (Read 2226 times)

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
What to do about the Garlic?
« on: February 25, 2012, 18:09:35 »
Wondered if I could pick your brains please?

We are still in the process of preparing our plot so can't put anything in the ground yet, but I am really really keen on growing my own garlic.

I have heard that if it is not exposed to a frost or two then in won't split and will remain one big bulb, is that correct?

So, I was thinking, should I plant them in toilet roll tubes and put those outside (in a larger container obviously) to be transplanted asap or is that a waste of time?

Any advice would be fab - thanks :)
2015 - New plot. Let's go!!

non-stick

• Half Acre
Re: What to do about the Garlic?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 18:14:51 »
Plenty of time for some frosts. I wouldn't bother with toilet rolls. I start mine off in cells and plant out when they've sprouted and have some roots. Works for me OK

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 18:16:21 »
Plenty of time for some frosts. I wouldn't bother with toilet rolls. I start mine off in cells and plant out when they've sprouted and have some roots. Works for me OK

So do they do ok being transplanted then?

Do you leave them outside in the cells?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 18:22:18 »
Sooner you get you garlic cloves growing, better chance you have getting decent size result.
If you have spare 3" pots..you could start them off in those...one clove per pot, and once they've got good root system going you can then transplant into prepared ground.
You should get month maybe two more time to get them into proper growing place. You can leave the planted pots outside they won't need any protection from weather..just make sure they don't dry out.
As for the exposion for the cold temperature..well..yes it is true..but being in pot and  there is still chance with some colder spells..there is all chance for half decent crop..and if not..just plant them again late autumn/early winter and they will definately do better next year.. ;)

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 18:35:47 »
Thanks, will get them started now and leave them outside and hope for the best - if not, like you say, try for better next year.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 14:34:11 »
If your ground's not frozen, you can put them straight in. Some varieties can be planted in March, so you're OK yet.

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 15:15:46 »
If your ground's not frozen, you can put them straight in. Some varieties can be planted in March, so you're OK yet.

Groung isn't frozen, in fact it is great, it is just that we are still preparing the whole plot so nothing can go in the ground yet.

I couldn't find any that go in in the spring - do you know where I could get these from?

Thanks

The Amateurs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 15:42:22 »
we've tried garlic from a number of places at a number of prices but would recommend the garlic farm (http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/) the bulbs come shipped from the isle of wight and we've always got a good crop with the bulbs we've had, you can get a good idea from the description which are the best spring ones to choose :) hope this helps

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 18:32:24 »
Solent Wight is a good one for spring planting, but don't leave it after March.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 18:51:03 »
Solent Wight is a good one for spring planting, but don't leave it after March.
I have some Solent White in the plot that I planted last Autumn. I'm going to inter-plant them with some of the same that were saved over the winter in a shed... Just to see what difference it makes at pulling-up time. :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal