Author Topic: Frogs, have you  (Read 36171 times)

irridium

• Acre
Re: Frogs, have you
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2013, 20:17:41 »
I'll let you know if tomorrow as it's just turned dark now, plus, it's raining slightly - hurrah! :blob7: (not for too long, though, just enough to wet the ground a bit, then go away till I've planted my spuds out at the w/e!) :blob7:

will i get anymore spawn if this lot's dead?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2013, 23:46:13 »
There are now several long threads of toad spawn in my pond - compensation for the disappearance of the frog spawn  :icon_cheers:.They are placed where I am almost sure the greedy fish can't get at them. Now the weather is warming up a tad I shall start to feed the fish again so they don't go looking for nourishment near the toad spawn  :happy7:.

Tricia

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2013, 03:26:22 »
Yesterday we heard the Eastern Toad for the first time this year. As soon as the temps get warm they start up and it has been around 80 degrees F+ two days in a row (in USA). Also heard one bullfrog out back. Ah, the sounds of springtime!

I hope nothing eats your spawn.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2013, 06:54:21 »
Our frogs have woken up too  :icon_cheers: Last couple of days there has been some chesty males making loud and deep calls for females...almost work for me too :icon_cheers:

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2013, 10:30:00 »
Last couple of days there has been some chesty males making loud and deep calls for females...almost work for me too :icon_cheers:
:toothy10:  Whatever turns you on!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2013, 11:25:25 »
If they die at this stage, the black nucleus (if that's the word) turns white so its quite easy to tell. :-)

well, one of them is a mild whiteish cloudy clump, one with clear gel and a distinct black dot and the other, clear gel but with the nucleus extended to distint 'rod' shapes.

hurrah - 2 living clumps out three!  :blob7:

what shall i do with the cloudy on?  do i remove it (although it's right next to the healthy ones, touching) or do i leave it and hope that the pondlife/eventual taddies will eat it? :sign17: :sign17:

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2013, 15:02:21 »
Good question Irridium. I have no idea.
I'd probably be tempted to leave it with a 'let nature take its course' kind of attitude. Probably wrong though....

I have two new clumps of frog-spawn to report today! And here was me  thinking it was all done and dusted.... "Don't judge other frogs by your own standards" would seem an apt retort.... :-)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2013, 15:24:28 »
I'll leave well alone as the pond's so small anyway, wouldn't want to cause too much disruption... thanks NigelB

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2013, 21:25:58 »
First two clumps happened on Thursday during the rain, then another one last night Sunday...... :toothy10: :toothy10:
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2013, 23:26:54 »
We've got a clump today too! First one of the season :icon_cheers:

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2013, 16:52:29 »
The Croakers have only started spawning here (also N Wales) in the last week...the toads were here 3 weeks or so ago and there are still a few about doing what comes naturally now...
Our Newts are doing it too...but you have to be VERY lucky and quiet to see them...
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2013, 19:57:16 »
way-hey, they're all hatched now (not sure if that's the right word for it!) now and swimming away. think they're feeding on the dead clump as they're all huddled together bobbing away on the surface. there are some stragglers around the edges of the pond not so frantic moving and i think they're the ones that have finished feeding, maybe?

had a female blackbird feed off some too, but my cat caught sight of that and it went (don't normally have birds in the garden!)

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2013, 21:18:57 »
Last night two clumps of toady strings  arrived  but no frogs spawn  this year

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2013, 11:48:43 »
Wow you are so lucky having frogs let alone spawn. Here in South Wales I haven't even heard a frog!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal