Author Topic: Frogs, have you  (Read 36165 times)

petengade

• Acre
Re: Frogs, have you
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 13:23:22 »
The frogs in my garden don't stand a chance a fox kills them and leaves them on the lawn, a pity really.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 11:36:37 »
I thought the fish had scoffed all the frogspawn, so imagine my delight when I saw a dozen or so tadpoles feeding round the edge of the pond this morning!

Tricia

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 20:02:45 »
No signs of spawn here or frogs except one dead one I found at the bottom of the pond!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 20:30:45 »
The frogs in my garden don't stand a chance a fox kills them and leaves them on the lawn, a pity really.
It's more likely to be cats...  :-X

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 18:48:22 »
By this time most ponds with a frog / tadpole population will probably have several of those nasty bully-boy/girl tadpoles that have begun to eat the smaller slow developing tadpoles...

I'm not sure if toad tadpoles behave in the same way but frogs' tadpoles are not the nicest mates to have if you're another tadpole.  :o

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 11:22:13 »
My pond has just had several hundred gallons of rainwater added so I guess the occupants have plenty of room.There was spawn and now there are wriggly bits near the shallow edge but to be fair I haven't done an in depth examination. Its been pretty chill and we had ice at least one night after hatch season so it will pay the inhabitants to be robust.. We usually have a few frogs and toads under the rhubarb, in the poly etc. so I guess the pond has its own quiet life going on... ;)
 No fish unless they've been bought in on something's feet. Mind you the Kingcups are glorious ;D ;D

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:52 »
Had frogspawn in my pond for over a month ,some seems to be getting ready to hatch.
                      P.S i live in Plymouth

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 10:30:50 »
Ours hatched weeks ago - are you sure yours hasnt hopped it?

Copper Coin

• Not So New ...
  • Enjoying allotmenting in Gorleston, Great Yarmouth
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 15:34:31 »
No frogs but we only put the pond in about 2 months ago so maybe there won't be any until next year x
Penny B.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 18:06:56 »
I saw one :D..............

In the pump..... :'(

Ho-hum.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 13:00:25 »
thought the fish had gobbled mine before i could save any But to day the sun has brought them out  and have a few   not known if frog or toad as i had both laid in the pond

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 00:03:10 »
thought the fish had gobbled mine before i could save any But to day the sun has brought them out  and have a few   not known if frog or toad as i had both laid in the pond

If they hop then most likely to be frogs. If they walk then most probably toads.  ;)

If they cycle keep it quiet and send me a personal message - we could be rich  ;D

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 13:49:35 »

I've got lots of tadpoles have had for week!  When will they turn into frogs or toads? I do feed them every day and they seem happy !!

X Chas

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 14:24:35 »

I've got lots of tadpoles have had for week!  When will they turn into frogs or toads? I do feed them every day and they seem happy !!

X Chas

I've never fed tadpoles as they find enough in the pond - mainly plant life to begin with. Some turn cannibal and  eat their siblings too!!

Speed at which they develop into froglets depends on the weather / temperatures and available food sources.

Yours seem quite late to only now be hatching.  ???

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2012, 15:25:03 »
Bumped this up as the subject suits my question.  Has anyone here heard their frogs "singing" at night recently? I thought they males did this in the spring they were making quite a noise in the night beneath my window. perhaps they were just enjoying the rain :wav:
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:18 »
Enjoying the rain I'd guess.

Don't we all just love it?  :BangHead:

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 20:39:33 »
Re-bumped because my pond is suddenly full of them.
I was having a tidy-up at the back of the pond, pulling back some weeds and stuff and happened to stand on a springy-plank affair that runs between the pond and the greenhouse wall, when to my absolute amazement a lot of frogs, double-figures for sure, burst out from under the plank into the pond and straight down in amongst the old leaves, mud and whatever lurks down there where its dark.
I had no idea they gathered like this in the winter..... But then again, I have no idea what I thought they did. For all I knew they could have hopped south or something, and it is now fairly obvious that's not true.

So, hmmmm

It is a south-facing, base-of-the-greenhouse-wall location, so it may very well be rather warm there at this time of year. Comparatively ...
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 20:47:22 »
Oh..they are far too early to get swimming again....they are going to freeze their 'pants' soon! Female frogs do hibernate above water so perharps they've been keeping warm together..preparing for their 'girls night out' that is happening in few weeks time  :glasses9:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:42 »
Oh..they are far too early to get swimming again....they are going to freeze their 'pants' soon! Female frogs do hibernate above water so perharps they've been keeping warm together..preparing for their 'girls night out' that is happening in few weeks time  :glasses9:

I guess they were disturbed on a warmish day and decided to hop it for fear of being eaten by a fox or other predator. They usually find somewhere protected from the worst of winter's weather then await the warmth of approaching spring.

Hopefully they will hop straight back to snooze for a few more weeks.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 17:53:07 »

.... So I turned to 't-internet and had a look at frogs and what they do, and it seems Goodlife has it .(no surprise there ;-)) :sunny:

They'll be gathering around the pond they intend to lay in apparently, which is fantastic news for me because I'd thought our population of local frogs had died out after we arrived here and took on the garden by cutting it back and keeping hens in it. :glasses9:
I also learned that they live for around eight years and will start to breed in their fifth year.

I can't see any of them now so I'll assume they've tucked themselves away back where they were. I'll just be a bit more careful and leave that area alone as much as I can.
Chuffed to bits, me. :toothy10:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal