Author Topic: Gardeners' world Dahlia Trial  (Read 1905 times)

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
Gardeners' world Dahlia Trial
« on: March 13, 2005, 18:36:56 »
Hiya Gardeners,

I dont know if you watched Gardeners' world where they were giving the seeds out, (Dahlias) for the garden growing. Well  i thought, if dan will let us, to have our own page with how our Dahlias are doing with pictures and information.

What do you think, eh???

Danny Lewis
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re: Gardeners' world Dahlia Trial
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 12:19:23 »
Except for a mix up when dahlia tubers were cooked by Mrs Phil some years ago, I don't thing Dahlias fit in the "Edible Plant" section

Phil

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 13:16:55 »
Go-on, Phil..do tell. Did you upset the missus by not eating them or upset your self by eating them?

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 17:01:04 »
Myself and OH have got i pack each - Stargazer and something else - OH fond of dahlia, but not the big blowsy type. Me - i could take or leave them, but at least their colourful. Never tried cooking them though...
Dawn

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 09:25:01 »
Go-on, Phil..do tell. Did you upset the missus by not eating them or upset your self by eating them?

I ate them before realising what they were - frantically tried to get medical advice on whether we were about to die (strangely no one knew - as it was a couple of years ago it seems eating dahlia tubers is not fatal but they don't taste of much!!) - There was more damage done to marital harmony than our stomachs

Phil

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 12:33:46 »
Googled and  came up with this info........

'Dahlias have an interesting history. The first tubers arrived in Europe at the end of the 18th century, sent over to Madrid by the Spanish settlers in Mexico. Andreas Dahl (after whom the plant is named) regarded it as a vegetable rather than a garden flower, but interest switched from the edible tubers to the blooms when the first varieties with large, double flowers were bred in Belgium in 1815. '

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal