Author Topic: The joy of finding PinkFirApple  (Read 1665 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
The joy of finding PinkFirApple
« on: February 20, 2012, 10:13:55 »
In recent potato discussion, we mentioned the differences in varieties between UK and France. Well, I must bite my tongue, as I went to Jardiland on Saturday and there was a stand with more "exotic" varieties and what did I see? Maris Peer and Pink Fir Apple!!!!
Well, I have already got a lot of spuds, so I just got a little packet of PFA to try, as you all rave about them. There must be about 15 in the packet and I paid 4.50€, so I guess about 4 pounds UK.
It is the first time I have seen them in France so I was well chuffed! Now just hope that the darn things grow!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Mikeakabigman

• Half Acre
  • Haslemere, Surrey
Re: The joy of finding PinkFirApple
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:57:46 »
Good luck with those, will be interested to see how you get on, I grew some years ago and loved them.
Kind regards

Mike.
My blog.   http://mikeyoungarps.blogspot.co.uk

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:11:39 »
Great find Antipodes,I enjoyed them last season.
Our favourite chip tatter,skin on and off oven cooked or sliced like pennies in the pan.
Mine didnt chit,having left them for ages,but in the end my plot mate said...dont faff about just get them in and we had a bumper crop from 15 spuds.

Good luck

GazNjude

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:40 »
Ah that's interesting to know. I do chit usuallly but it's just to stop the spuds sprouting away in the netting bags as they tend to!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 17:07:44 »
I found PFA very ordinary tastewise and not terribly productive compared to other main crops - someone on  A4A suggested it was my limey soil as they like it a bit acid.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 17:01:59 »
I have just started chitting mine,they are an awkward shape for egg boxes.
Do they go into yhe soil length or depthwise.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 17:07:18 »
Hi Poolcue,
I suppose it depends where or which end the growing sprouts grow from.
I have cut most of mine in half as they were producing sprouts at both ends anyway. They are tiny little growing sprouts though, but as long as you try to plant with those uppermost, they'll do I reckon.  :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 17:08:56 »
I have just started chitting mine,they are an awkward shape for egg boxes.
Do they go into yhe soil length or depthwise.

Doesn't seem to matter with PFA, they'll produce their forest anyway.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal