Author Topic: Best way to germinate Picea abies?  (Read 1180 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
Best way to germinate Picea abies?
« on: February 17, 2012, 17:51:29 »
I've sown some Picea abies seeds a few weeks back.

Each piece of advice I read online seems to contradict the last.

I've sown them on MP compost and covered with grit. I kept them in a very cold/unheated porch which does suffer from frost for two weeks. They are now on the kitchen windowsill.

Would they be better just left outside on the patio?

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Re: Best way to germinate Picea abies?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:25:56 »
I once had an Acer in a large tub on the patio  and to make it look extra pretty I put a carrier bag full of little fir cones that I had collected out on a winter walk . In the spring I had a crop of baby fir trees pushing up through the cones  !  ::)
At that time  , although very interesting  , I didn,t really want them .  Now I am trying to grow them , I have sown them in pots of compost with added grit and environmesh over the top to stop the squirrels and mice nibbling them , they are outside  to give them a cold period before the  sunshine in the spring wakes them up . The Monkey Puzzle seeds which cost me a fortune are being molly coddled upstairs on a windowsil.... I keep going to look at them  ,to see if any little shoots are coming ...nothing yet ....  exciting though isn,t it  ? Good luck with yours Digitalis   :)
Trespassers will be composted !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal